Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Question on the XM Module

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 AM

Question on the XM Module

Hi all. I've done a search but nothing really answers my question. I have a 2007 HHR LT. It did not come from the factory with XM but I found an XM module for the car through a bodyshop friend. Anywho, does anyone know if it's possible to just plug the module in, connect an antenna and it should work? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 AM

Whelp 64 views and no answers. Last night I took off the panel where the module would go and found the the wiring was not in place to plug the module in. SO I'll have an OEM XM module to sell pretty soon. I guess if I wanted to spend the time I could run the wires and stuff for it but I think instead I'm gonna get an Alpine and replace the whole system. I've got an Axxess module for it now which I don't care for the interface. Anywho thanks for looking.

Last edited by Ivan_Deslayer; 03-01-2010 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Spell check is my friend.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

If your radio has the CAT button, you should be able to use the XM kit. There are no additional connections for it - it connects in-line. You may want to try to find some installations instructions so see how the wiring connects. I have the same car - an 07 LT1, and I added an XM kit which works great.

Good Luck!

TomK
Mpls, MN
Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM

You may need someone with a Tech2 to turn on the XM band on your radio, if you have the "CAT" button.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Ivan Deslayer, this is a question that probably keeps thousands of people like us from subscribing to XM. I have a CAT button as well, but cannot get the proper info in regard to upfitting the module. I have to think it's a loss for XM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Founding Member

I'm not sure how many times I have posted this but here we go. You can purchase Part Number: 17800594 XM Radio Upgrade Kit.

Your vehicle must be equipped with RPO Code UE1 and w/o RPO Code U1C. Check your glove box label for the RPO codes.

As far as adding this module and an antenna, I don't think it will work, but I could be wrong. The XM antenna is part of the OnStar antenna, so if you don't have OnStar, it won't work.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I'm not sure how many times I have posted this but here we go. You can purchase Part Number: 17800594 XM Radio Upgrade Kit.

Your vehicle must be equipped with RPO Code UE1 and w/o RPO Code U1C. Check your glove box label for the RPO codes.

As far as adding this module and an antenna, I don't think it will work, but I could be wrong. The XM antenna is part of the OnStar antenna, so if you don't have OnStar, it won't work.
ChevyMgr,

There is a pic on the forums of the XM kit and it shows that it comes with a new antenna base to replace the factory OnStar antenna base. It would seem that the XM antenna is NOT originally part of the OnStar antenna but is added when the XM upgrade is installed. This makes me think (as someone else on the forums mentioned) that if one is willing to drill a hole in the roof and install the new XM/OnStar combo antenna that the kit could be added to an HHR that did not come with OnStar.

I have a 2006 LT2 w/o OnStar and I a looking for someone that is willing to do this for me. I don't think a dealer will but my guess is that a car stereo shop will.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:08 AM

I found the thread with the pics of the upgrade kit.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...light=17800594

There is also this description of someone adding the antenna.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/audio-video-17/adding-xm-your-factory-radio-update-11987/
Old 03-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by ksummerall
ChevyMgr,

There is a pic on the forums of the XM kit and it shows that it comes with a new antenna base to replace the factory OnStar antenna base.
I have a 2006 LT2 w/o OnStar and I a looking for someone that is willing to do this for me. I don't think a dealer will but my guess is that a car stereo shop will.
We have never installed one on an HHR but I would think the base has to be changed out so that you can plug the XM and OnStar into it since the both have seperate cables.

I only know that GM states that you must have OnStar for this accessory to work. Could the module and a seperate antenna work on a non OnStar equipped vehicle? Possibly, but I can't say for sure. The XM has to be turned on by a Tech2 scanner either way.

Also just an FYI, The XM upgrade kit only works with 2006-2008 HHRs and Cobalts. I don't show one available for 2009-2010.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Thank you for all the replies everyone. My question was because I had the module inhand. The XM antenna that has a pink connector end does connect to the module. The unfortunate part for me was that the car did not have the wiring inplace to make happen what I wanted to do. Theoretically though if you wanted to string the wires to the radio it should work. My plans for the audio do not include me purchasing the XM kit. I already had the Axxess/Metra module and it seems really quirky and it doesn't play well with my Ipod. The radio is gonna get replaced with an Alpine CDA-9887 and I'll use the Ipod connection there and connect XM also. I'll lose the chime but that's not and issue for me.

Quick Reply: Question on the XM Module