Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Radio seems inop after dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:29 AM

Radio seems inop after dead battery

2006 HHR, stock everything - tho fully loaded LT version.

Basically radio is always off, no ability to power on fully it seems, no buttons work when pressed - however, for these 3 specific buttons

1) "i" (top left circle button) - tapping displays time.
2) "^ EJECT" - tapping displays 'No Disk Inserted' & time.
3) also tapping the clock button displays time.
- in adenddum, u CAN put a cd in it takes it, spins it, then stops. No display for the cd/radio ever comes up. Still no buttons work except for the above 3. Then, however, 'eject' will eject the cd.

No other buttons work whatsoever, ever. Thes above 3 that do, work predictably the same always. Happened after a dead battery storage for months of the vehicle. Radio was 100% normal before the storage.

Any ideas - comments - suggestions - anyone come across this?
Please help me! Lol. But seriously I've considered an aftermarket, but the radio looks decent stock and did well pre-storage. Aftermarket radio of 130$ cost over 500 to install with all the add on wiring. So thought I'd try this instead first!
Old 10-24-2015, 11:34 AM

If any additional information is needed to guide a response, ask for it, I'll check this daily for feedback. Just want a stereo to listen too
Old 10-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Deceased

It's entirely possible that months of zero voltage have tripped the head unit's anti-theft feature causing it to "think" that it has been installed in another vehicle.

This will require a trip to your dealer so they can connect a Tech II up to your HHR and try to "pair" the head unit up with your vehicle's VIN.

Once the head unit knows it's home, for the lack of a better explanation, it should work fine.

And because the battery was dead for an extended period, plan on springing for a new one. Dead batteries will slowly kill themselves through sulfation between the plates, meaning they might hold a charge briefly, but they're not long for this world.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:13 PM

This was my initial thoughts as well. And yes, battery has been replaced.

My concern with that, was after scouring the forums - HHR n most gm head units show "LOCKED" if they do trip in theft deferent mode, mine never displays this :/. But I'll bring her to a dealer see what they can do. I'm sure that be a hundo lol. Thanks. I'll post back after done.

Last edited by Jburcher82; 10-25-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo and add
Old 10-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Deceased

Most dealers charge $50-$60 to hook up a Tech II and do any programming or pairing, heck they might even surprise you and do it for free.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:58 PM

I have a Pioneer aftermarket head unit and in the few times I have disconnected the battery the head unit reset back to factory original settings. That sort of surprised me as I thought they had some ROM that held settings but all units are different it seems.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:04 AM

It's my understanding that the radio has a PROM {Programmable Read Only Memory} chip that can be flashed with the scanner mentioned above.

When I was having my stereo problems way back when I joined this forum I had my stock stereo out of the car for close to 6 months. It took me that long to figure out that my real problem was the speakers were not working right all the time.

I bought two other HHR stereos to put in the car but my local dealer could not get either of them to work in the car. I was using an old Clarion AM/FM/CD player in the mean time.

When I contacted GM about it I was told that the dealer should be able to flash any of the radios from another HHR or Cobalt or even some Saturn's and make it work in my HHR.

I tired this several times at the cost of $75.00 each try.

Finally one day I just put the original radio back in and it worked fine with the new speakers, and still is.

I don't know what's going on with your stereo but I sure hope your dealer has at least one guy who knows how to use the Tech II scanner thingy. Mine does not.