Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Rear speaker cutting in and out

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM

That's why I went with the least expensive new speakers I could dig up. They sound good enough for me. They rock hard when I turn the stereo up. They provide the sound quality I desire yet were cheap enough that I can just get more in a year or so when they fail.

This set has been in the car for at least 2 years now maybe longer and still sound fine to me. I've known people who only wanted the very best brand of speakers they could get.

Brand loyalty can be a good thing but it really makes little difference if you happen to like the sound you get with your Chinese speakers just as much as you do your top of the line whatever they are.

A very good friend has only Kenwood Speakers in his car, as soon as he gets a new car he just has to take whatever speakers are in it out and replace them with Kenwood speakers. That's how I ended up with the big box of speakers in the garage.

Here is a link to some inexpensive speakers at wallyworld

Boss Audio CH6530 *MANUF. REBATE AVAILABLE* 6.5" 3-Way, Car Speakers Full Range Chaos Speakers - 300W (Pair of Speakers) - Walmart.com

This price is for a pair and you would need to buy or build some spacers for them but they should rock ya for a few years.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Infinity is more known for high frequency response, mine are a few years old now but definitely biased to the highs. For the music you listed Polk or JBL might be better. Go to a local store and have a listen first.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Administrator

They seem to want to help you get your speakers installed

Find what fits your car - Crutchfield
Old 01-08-2016, 09:31 PM

I ended up with these. The price wasn't bad and as long as it sounds better than the original speakers I'm going to be satisfied.

Pioneer TS-G1645R 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

When I placed the order, the site recommended that I buy some baffles like the ones at the link below. Is it necessary for me to buy these? Will I have to get them for all 4 doors?

baffle at Crutchfield.com
Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Administrator

The baffles will help keep the weather off the speakers, did you order the adapters and wiring pieces they show at N/C ?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54 AM

The adapters came with the speakers. Should I get baffles for the front doors? The website only recommended them for the rear.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Administrator

They would know, I used to use half of one just to cover the top of the speaker for water drips.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Administrator

I've merged these two threads
Old 01-09-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by bugo
I listen to a lot of alternative rock and metal with loud distorted guitars, some electronic music with moderate bass, but very little hip hop and rap with loud bass. I want them to sound good with those styles of music.
For metal I generally like Polk Audio, JBL, or mid-priced Pioneer, though I'm considering Eminence Beta 6A's....

Technically a guitar loudspeaker, some people have used them in amplified car stereo systems because of the 175W RMS continuous power handling capability & 94dB sensitivity... bonus: they're built in the USA, but cost about $60 + shipping per speaker. Low-end bass (below 90Hz) is a bit lacking as are highs (above 8.5KHz), but has very solid response in between where a lot of alt/rock/metal lives.

Here's the curves from Eminence PDF on this 8Ohm speaker

Name:  IWKbYO9l.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 01-11-2016, 02:21 AM

How long does it take for speakers to "break in"? Does the stereo have to be on to help the speakers break in faster? Or does it break in just sitting idle? Roughly how many hours of the stereo being on does it take to break the speakers in?

Quick Reply: Rear speaker cutting in and out