Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Replaced front door Pioneer with Focal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM

I didn't add any amps until I replaced the HU.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM

I started a new thread so I wasn't hijacking..
Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by bad03xtreme
Did you replace the tweeters also?
No, these are coaxial and have their own tweeters.
I only did the Front doors and left the other five speakers alone (for now).
It actually sounds very good as is.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Are these Focals made in China like everything else nowadays, or somewhere else?
They are 'hand made' in France.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman
with a small replacement like that will the HU still run it all fine?

Wouldn't mind upgrading mine someday if the price is right. I used to switch the speakers in my car but never knew if i was really doing it right?

ANy depth restrictions I gotta worry about?
There is a LOT of information buried in the Audio and Video forum.
I spent an hour or two searching and learning.
Someone stated that all the Pioneer (factory) speakers are 2 ohm.
The Focals are 4 ohm, maybe puts a bit more load on the HU but it sounds fine to me. Maybe if I add more 4 ohm speakers, the stock HU may become over taxed. I have plenty of volume with good quality as it is today.
I used Crutchfield for information, they will indicate what fits your vehicle.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:56 PM

if those are the right ohm ratings the Focals are less demanding on the amp, actually drawing less power and putting less stress on the amp.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Musicguy
if those are the right ohm ratings the Focals are less demanding on the amp, actually drawing less power and putting less stress on the amp.
Musicguy, you are correct concerning ohms and amp load. I don't fully appreciate the mixing of speaker ohm ratings and the net effect on the amp.

The reason I only replaced the front door speakers is that it seems to me that the front doors provide most of the listening experience.

With the stock 'premium' Pioneer speakers, even with the fade turned heavily to the back speakers, the back speakers don't provide much sound. I have heard others with the same comment. Maybe it's just the placement of the rear door speakers but I haven't found a way to drive from the back seat.

With the 4 ohm Focals only in the front doors, I need to turn up the volume a bit more for the same sound level. So I don't know if the need to increase the volume setting for the 4 ohm speakers offsets the actual amplifier load reduction.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM

going from a 2 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker those focals are now getting half the power (roughly) that the pioneers were, this is the reason why you have to turn the volume up more. upgrade to a decent aftermarket amp and hear those focals come alive.

as for the rear speakers think of a concert, when you go to a concert where do you face? the musicions, so it only makes sence to have the most power coming from your fronts. the rears being low in the doors is goign to have allot of sound absorbed by the seats but keep the rear speakers for the rear listeners and just concentrate on keeping that sound up front where it belongs.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by sndsgood
going from a 2 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker those focals are now getting half the power (roughly) that the pioneers were, this is the reason why you have to turn the volume up more. upgrade to a decent aftermarket amp and hear those focals come alive.

as for the rear speakers think of a concert, when you go to a concert where do you face? the musicions, so it only makes sence to have the most power coming from your fronts. the rears being low in the doors is goign to have allot of sound absorbed by the seats but keep the rear speakers for the rear listeners and just concentrate on keeping that sound up front where it belongs.
I totally agree bout the rear speakers. Im not even running any. The rears in my car are unhooked. Theres enough ambient sound that fills the car i dont need them. If your at a concert the majority of the music is in front of you. The only thing from the rear is reflections.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I'm curious ...if you unhook your rear speakers will more power go to the front speakers. I know I know dumb question...Reason I ask is because I also replaced only my front speakers with Infinitys. Will replacing the HU with a aftermarket unit significantly
inprove sound because ohm rating?

Quick Reply: Replaced front door Pioneer with Focal