Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Should I seal my doors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Should I seal my doors?

I just installed some PA mids and I only have them on about 20w each (they are 8ohm) but I plan to bridge them on my amp at 4 ohms and give them 50w each.

I am wondering if sealing up the doors will help at all or be a waste of time.

They don't really hit below 80-100hz
Old 06-20-2015, 11:00 PM
Deceased

Unless you were to have an SPL Meter AKA Decibel Meter and a real time frequency reading equalizer handy, you would not see any appreciable benefits to sealing the doors unless you did a back to back comparison.

Plus, you'd never get a perfect seal unless you made the side glass permanently fixed, plugged up the hole left by the limiter strap(that doohicky which keeps the doors from opening too far), and a half dozen other places that come to mind.

As as my friend the Car Audio Ace in Charlotte has found out, car and truck doors make marginal tuned enclosures at best.

He usually makes a patch of Dynamat to fit onto the inside of the outer sheet metal which damps unwanted resonant frequencies, and that does make a difference in sound quality.

Slowly but surely, Jake is "learnin' me" on Car Audio, while I "learn him" on engines and chassis tuning. That way his eardrum blowing Z-24 is starting to run and handle like it should, and the system he's designing for my Panel will be "killer" in his words.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 AM
Administrator

The things that can be done are of a personal nature, seal up the door, not required for my hearing! The sound deadening mat pocket seemed to help with Oldblue and I'm still using the stock Pioneer speakers that came with it from the factory!