Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Sound issues. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 10:27 PM

Sound issues. Please help

Hey there
My ‘09 HHR LT 2 liter has some sound issues and I’m not quite sure how to fix them but would like some help in doing so or if someone may be able to tell me what the problem is...
So the sound for the radio used to work just fine then it started fading hard. Only can hear vocals, very faint. No bass or other parts of the songs come through. There was a time when if you hit a pothole good or banged on the dash, it would kick in and start working again. So that has me wandering if the wires could be lose or blown? Speakers are bad? No sound out of the rear whatsoever. Front is very faint. Radio turns on and all. Now it’s just steady faint vocals that you hear when it’s on. Blinkers make noise.
I don’t know what the problem is and I don’t know how to check the wiring system to see if something is up.
Please help in anyway, trying to fix this issue the least costly way!
Thanks
Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

The common issue is that the speakers in the doors have gone south on you - they do have a habit of getting wet and failing. The tweeters in the columns typically are ok - and if they are the only ones working the sound will be like you describe - faint vocals, no bass etc.. Use the search function at the top right corner to read a few of the threads about testing and replacing speakers - replacing them can be a bit messy depending on the new speakers and their mounting requirements. Or check one of the many Youtube videos on testing speakers.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 AM
Platinum Member

X2 on the speakers being bad.

FYI. If your car is a LT , it will have either a 2.2 liter or 2.4 liter engine. Only the SS had the 2.0 liter engine.
You'll need the correct engine size if you ever need to obtain certain parts.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Possible solution for those who have replaced door speakers and still dont have sound

I recently lost all sound. ticks, tweeters, sub and doors. I replaced the door speakers in vain. I did find moisture in the door cavities though! My problem turned out to be the amp. I tore everything apart in the back and found my sunroof drain became disconnected and was draining into the spare tire area. I replaced the amp and had sound instantly.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by radujski
I recently lost all sound. ticks, tweeters, sub and doors. I replaced the door speakers in vain. I did find moisture in the door cavities though! My problem turned out to be the amp. I tore everything apart in the back and found my sunroof drain became disconnected and was draining into the spare tire area. I replaced the amp and had sound instantly.
The amp does not live in the spare tire well from the factory. Yours must be after market.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The amp does not live in the spare tire well from the factory. Yours must be after market.
No it doesn't but between the evaporation of the standing water and the wicking of it though that mdf-like material that runs under the spare tire and up over the wheel wells caused moisture to build up around the factory amp and that was enough to cause problems with it.