Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

tweeter replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by planetrj
Is this the actual stock tweeter? I’m pretty disappointed with GM for using these to be installed for a Pioneer head unit.
I’ve since replaced the stock unit and door speakers, but I just had a chance to see the tweeters, and I have to say it’s very disappointing to say the least.

Looks like 2 inch max speakers are possible, based on the measurement between screws.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for replacements with a specific brand/wattage/ohm >< as it seems that these are set up with (perhaps?) an unnecessary suppressor built into the oem tweeters.
Having replace a bunch of doors speaker in these cars, I have some non-expert advice for everyone. Put better speakers in the doors. Even the Pioneer Premium speakers aren't that good, so-so OEM QUALITY, just a lot better that the bass speaker trash. If the pillar tweeters are giving you trouble, just disconnect them. They're just there for "presence." With good speakers in the doors you won't really notice their absence, unless you park the car and expect an audiphile experience. Which you won't get anyway.

Pretty sure in the base setup there is no crossover and the pillar tweeters are simply in parallel with the front door speakers. So if a door speaker is blown, it'll affect the tweeter. May be true for the Pioneer system as well, IDK.
Old 07-05-2023, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Having replace a bunch of doors speaker in these cars, I have some non-expert advice for everyone. Put better speakers in the doors. Even the Pioneer Premium speakers aren't that good, so-so OEM QUALITY, just a lot better that the bass speaker trash. If the pillar tweeters are giving you trouble, just disconnect them. They're just there for "presence." With good speakers in the doors you won't really notice their absence, unless you park the car and expect an audiphile experience. Which you won't get anyway.

Pretty sure in the base setup there is no crossover and the pillar tweeters are simply in parallel with the front door speakers. So if a door speaker is blown, it'll affect the tweeter. May be true for the Pioneer system as well, IDK.
He has replaced his door speakers if you read his post.As someone who installed stereos in cars for a living I can tell you that all tweeters require some form of bass blocker (crossover).Using 1 without will lead to distortion and probably blown tweeters.If you look at the picture he took of the stock tweeter you can see the little capacitor.As far as disconnecting them.I wouldn't.They are relatively inexpensive and as long as they are power balanced with the rest of the system they make a huge difference in sound quality.Speakers other then subwoofers are directional and since the door speakers basically point at your feet having the tweeters higher and closer to your ear make a world of difference in a properly tuned car.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vinnybagodoughnuts
He has replaced his door speakers if you read his post.As someone who installed stereos in cars for a living I can tell you that all tweeters require some form of bass blocker (crossover).Using 1 without will lead to distortion and probably blown tweeters.If you look at the picture he took of the stock tweeter you can see the little capacitor.As far as disconnecting them.I wouldn't.They are relatively inexpensive and as long as they are power balanced with the rest of the system they make a huge difference in sound quality.Speakers other then subwoofers are directional and since the door speakers basically point at your feet having the tweeters higher and closer to your ear make a world of difference in a properly tuned car.
Yes! I witnessed this! I had some oversized tweeters that won’t fit, but I temp wired them in, and I noticed the filtering in them. I should have paid closer attention to the ohms but I figured I would replace with the same (or as you said) as close as possible to the OEM ohms.

thank you for your input. It makes a difference, and I would never just try to Jerry rig a system, as i appreciate the installer’s experience.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:37 PM

I may just grab them from Amazon.If they don't come with the crossover I can always return them.(penny pincher)
I also love Amazon for their totally free return policy, and I have Prime! So maybe there might be a discount on Prime Day (11th-12th). Who doesn’t love a good deal on a quality item?!!

Now, I have just one question: Those Infinity’s are really nice! But…How do these fit under the pillar? It has a single bolt on the back, which would seem to mean that a bolt hole needs drilled and they need to be bolted to the frame instead? Just curious.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction

I’m considering this Pioneer, in fact…just waiting to see other suggestions.

4 Channel/200w per channel

Old 07-06-2023, 07:42 AM

I also love Amazon for their totally free return policy, and I have Prime! So maybe there might be a discount on Prime Day (11th-12th). Who doesn’t love a good deal on a quality item?!!

Now, I have just one question: Those Infinity’s are really nice! But…How do these fit under the pillar? It has a single bolt on the back, which would seem to mean that a bolt hole needs drilled and they need to be bolted to the frame instead? Just curious.
You can use a back strap to mount them with the oem screws.Something like this although it seems the price is pretty high on Amazon.You just bend them to shape.I would wait though as 1 of the included brackets looks like it might work.
Amazon Amazon
Old 07-06-2023, 07:47 AM

I’m considering this Pioneer, in fact…just waiting to see other suggestions.

4 Channel/200w per channel

I have no experience with that particular HU but have been using Pioneer stereos since the 80's and have had good luck with them.
Old 07-06-2023, 07:59 AM

Heres a picture for reference of the shape you would need to bend the backstrap.

This included bracket may work though.

Old 07-08-2023, 03:55 AM

Heres a picture for reference of the shape you would need to bend the backstrap.

This included bracket may work though.

this is really helpful, because not only did I not know what to call them (to put into the search), but I also didn’t know there was more universal ones available, because the only thing that kept coming up was for specific models and most were Toyota or Subaru. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2023, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Suggested tweeters for the HHR

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html

Quick Reply: tweeter replacement