Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Upgrading to the BETTER factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

the only benefit of keeping the factory head unit would be the signal receiver, it is more stronger than aftermarkets, unless u go pioneer because they have a pretty good receiver built in as well..now i got a JVC Double-din unit since i liked they way it looked and it came with bluetooth plus you can change the LED colours (so many choices!) so I matched the interior dash lights to it so it looks perfect. Cost me $200 for the unit then swapped out all speakers with Infinity (which i prefer) and it sounds 1000x better!! just and amp and sub is all i need now. not sure if I want to do a shallow sub under the seat or not..but honestly its worth going aftermarket and finding one that suits your needs and then swapping out the speakers as well singe the non SS models come with cardboard speakers! You can control more treble, bass, mids, and even go into deeper detail with the pro equalizers (if radio supports this..mine does)
Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by skyline26
the only benefit of keeping the factory head unit would be the signal receiver, it is more stronger than aftermarkets, unless u go pioneer because they have a pretty good receiver built in as well..now i got a JVC Double-din unit since i liked they way it looked and it came with bluetooth plus you can change the LED colours (so many choices!) so I matched the interior dash lights to it so it looks perfect. Cost me $200 for the unit then swapped out all speakers with Infinity (which i prefer) and it sounds 1000x better!! just and amp and sub is all i need now. not sure if I want to do a shallow sub under the seat or not..but honestly its worth going aftermarket and finding one that suits your needs and then swapping out the speakers as well singe the non SS models come with cardboard speakers! You can control more treble, bass, mids, and even go into deeper detail with the pro equalizers (if radio supports this..mine does)
The 2LT models have the pioneer also
Old 09-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

The Three dealers around here can't tell me if the 09 with bluetooth will program up and work in my 08 which has the premium sound, just not bluetooth.

The best offer I got was 50.00 if it don't work and 100.00 if it does.......I took out my jawbone Icon earpiece,.....it's working fine.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:47 PM

@SS fan, are things still going well with the upgrade?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-10-2012, 12:59 PM

The stock HHR 'premium' stereo's are a dime-a-dozen on eBay (cheap $$!). I think auto wreckers take em out of wrecked cars & throw em on eBay all day long. Getting it 'flashed' to work with your specific vehicle could kill the whole party though so dont spend too much on it!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by badassbowtie
FWIW the factory pioneer system is "better". Its plenty loud enough for me but some like to vibrate down the street, so, to do so, you should invest in aftermarket stuff. I know people that are not impressed by the factory pioneer system. its better than the 4 speaker system but by no means is it going to be heard down the street

EDIT: and i just realized that i replied to a thread from 2010...very nice... not sure on the blue tooth SSFAN
Or Just put a port in that Factory box. "it's a ported box that gives you that muddy low end frequency you can hear down the street, it's why elephants use it to communicate long distances"
Old 04-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by yur_maker
Or Just put a port in that Factory box. "it's a ported box that gives you that muddy low end frequency you can hear down the street, it's why elephants use it to communicate long distances"
HUH, and you are replying to post from 2012.