Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

weather impacting my speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 08:47 PM

Question weather impacting my speakers?

Hi, I'm new here and have had my 1LT HHR for about 5 years now.

I was reading a little about some audio issues other people are having, and I've gathered some information about those troubles, but there's a something different about mine.

A few years back, the Midwest got hit with a pretty big ice storm, and since then, my passenger side speakers(front and back) only work when it's warm out. The tweeter by the windshield always works. Anytime it rains, or snows the speakers stop working.... But then you get a nice sunny/warm day, everything works fine.

When they stop working I use the BAL/FADE controls to make sure they are in fact, not working.

It's quite annoying. And because I'm not "car savvy" I'm not sure if there is something wrong, or if the weather can really control my speakers.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 AM

Doesn't take savvy. Water gets into the door past the felt and gets on the speakers. New speakers and new protection around them.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Here is one video to help get you started!
Crutchfield seems to be s good place to order speakers
The search tool will provide many threads about speakers, it is personal preference and bank account that will determine which ones you order.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Mine have all failed, the front ones went first, and they can become temperature sensitive, I assume that tiny movements of the copper under thermal expansion make the connection across the break when it's warm - the break has on mine always been at the joint between the flexible and the voice coil at the center of the cone.
I got Polk Audio DB651 as replacement, they have a fair bass for the size, a smooth midrange, and they're marine grade, so they're probably goint to tolerate the damp in the door cavity better. The stock speakers can be hacked up to form mounting rings for regular round 6.5" speakers.