Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Waaaaay back in the day when I had a Bronco II, I had 2 12's in a sealed box firing down in the back. For the rest of the system, I had Boston Acoustic speakers, an Alpine headunit, and Alpine amps. Basically each set of speakers had it's own amp and even though it was only 440 watts total, everyone that heard it said it was the best sounding stereo around. You could hear me coming from a block or more away. So yes sealed will still give you a nice deep bass w/ good "thump" and not sound distorted to everyone else.

Later
Allex
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM

I do notice in my ported BOX if I raise the BASS to high it will distord my song so I have to lower it down so I cab appreciate the lirics...

Thanks for everyones Help

John
Old 08-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Hey John,

1. my buddy had a homemade ported box with 2-12' and an alpine 700 pushing it. I'm guessing the box had maybe 1CF of airspace and his box just pushed a ton of air, everything rattled, the speakers sounded loose. the bass was there just not THERE. We took two pieces of block and covered the ports. the subs hit so good he ended up turning the bass, crossover, and amp down a notch or two. this is just his experience, yours will differ.

2. I have the Premium sound, and we listen to BPM, BBCDance, etc. the settings we have with the stock stereo is Bass is 3 or 4 notches under max, Mid is 1 notch up, Treble is 2 notches under max. with the auto volume set to loud you can get about 7-8/10's of the max with great clarity and "decent" bass, although you can get +/- depending on the cd. Now with an iPod it sounds amazing for stock. Now, where you hit issues is with XM and certain songs/stations. The sub cover rattles pretty badly at times, and doesn't seem bolted down. It also has a short bandwidth and tends to distort quickly.

3.Good luck with whatever you do, and post pics
Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM

A ported box is tuned for a specific frequency. The bass will be loudest at that frequency and be diminished some at the rest of the spectrum. A sealed box will cover the complete spectrum more evenly. Ported box seem boomier since they emphasize one freq over the rest. Ported boxes are more sloppy sounding. A sealed box plays tight and controlled better less sloppiness. Sealed boxes can get loud, but require more power than ported for the same volume. Ported boxes are more efficient and get louder with less power. If you are running a smaller amp, a ported box will be louder. I'm running 1100 watts to my two 12's in a sealed box. The freq response is excellent with them. They get rowdy when I want them too, but are clean and controlled at the same time.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 PM

From my personal experience ported boxes have deeper louder bass, sealed has a tighter sound but takes more power to push. I just put a 15" kicker L7 in a ported box and it is just retarded at how loud it is. I mean she bangs now, I'm thinking about going dual. I get a kick when cars pull up and try to show out...especially those wack donks. I kill them lol
Old 12-29-2010, 09:41 PM

To me ported is more boomy while sealed has a more solid hit...I base it on the drum kick..I like it tight...like my...........................................

socks....haha!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tech-guy
I would like a loud BASS but at the same time all my truck rattles including the roof of my HHR and I hate that cause I cannot get the BASS as loud as I want to.. I have tried different boxes and including selling my speakers but it looks like no matter what I use it still rattles. I am also considering going to small speaker like maybe 2 10 cause its taking 80% of my trunk space.. Anything you can recommend?
You have an AA5 right?
I have a "rear quater panel delete" on my 09SS and Im planning on putting 10's in the space (Along with lots of dynamat) Im thinking the best way to do this would be to gut the back and find a way to build a frame and mounting a 5 channel amp on the ceiling. It sounds like alot of work, but nothing is immpossible with enough $$$.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up ported or sealed

In my opinion, a ported sub will perform better playing acoustic bass.(bass guitar or big ass bass fiddle) A sealed unit is better suited for "mechanical" sounds such as drums,ect. This is a pic of my 10" Rockford -Fosgate in a Ported box. It's all I need(at 900 watts rms)
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Andy, Check this amp install out.Kenwood 4 channel on the left, Kenwood 900 watt RMS mono on the right. This way they are out of sight, and I can STILL get to my spare without problems. (I used the Kenwoods because they both have cooling fans)
Attached Images   

Last edited by mrarff; 01-27-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 PM

in reality both ported and sealed can have excellent sound quality, its all in the box itself. how a sub will sound has more to do with the proper box then the name on the sub. a sealed box will be more forgiving if you make the box to big or to small in general its will be musical and require less space then a ported enclosure. ported enclosure will generally be bigger. can get louder at the tuned frequency of the box (depending on if you build the box for maximum spl) setup for sq your not going to get as much extra out of it but you will get some. its really all in the box builder. if you want to conserve as much space i'd stick with a sealed box. ive seen many ported enclosures come thru the judging lanes in sound quality events that sounded amazing. and this is coming for a guy who mainly uses sealed enclosures.

Quick Reply: What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?