Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Talking What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?

Hello guys,

Recently I have been wondering what is better a ported or a sealed woofer

enclosure. I mainly listened to dance music and some spanish Regatton..

Here is some links to the songs I listen and let me know what is better sealed

or ported woofer box.

Dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3S4dBk4E1g

Regatton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7GBGZ004vQ

Thanks

John
Old 07-26-2010, 08:55 AM

In general, a ported box will be louder within a certain range of very low frequencies. It gives more boom in bass songs. You may play songs that dont have those frequencies and wonder where the bass went.
A sealed box will not get as loud with those same notes, but will be better over a wider range and will blend better with the door speakers.
I currently have a larger ported box, but might be going to sealed.
Do you want more boom, or do you want better sound quality?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:17 AM

I would like a loud BASS but at the same time all my truck rattles including the roof of my HHR and I hate that cause I cannot get the BASS as loud as I want to.. I have tried different boxes and including selling my speakers but it looks like no matter what I use it still rattles. I am also considering going to small speaker like maybe 2 10 cause its taking 80% of my trunk space.. Anything you can recommend?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:12 PM

Louder? I assume your already runing 12's or better in a vehicle no larger the a Stilleto shoe box......is the vehicle prepped? Components matched? Just curious...maybe help you get in the right direction..seen too many people just throw the largest everything in their cars and expect sound off quality...there is a process.....though, if your experienced my apologies.
Speaking of space..consider while there is a bit of room inside, with the large curvy seats ,dash and door panels there is no real clear sound path( except the box they call cargo space) as the sounds are reflected and bounced/absorbed off of everything...just try listening to the rear door speakers by them selves,,,they low and most the sound is muted....great for midbass though.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Ah,ok so you already have a system loud enough to rattle everything. Thats a good start, but now the real work begins. The louder it gets, the more it will rattle.
You can try to trace each rattle and fix it, but it would probably be as much work as doing most of the interior.
Take off the plastic interior panels and check for any loose parts. Then apply sound deadener (brands like Dynamat, Rammat, or B-Quiet) to the metal frame, covering all the holes. Put the panel back, if the panel still rattles use some closed cell foam at that location to pad it.
Do some reading on sites like www.diyma.com or www.canadiancaraudio.com
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 AM

Thanks guys for all of the help you are giving me...

Ok here is the description of my system.

MTX Terminator TN250/1

2 MTX TR4512 12inch woofers.

1 Dual Ported Box it measures 32inch wide by 16 inch long by 16 inch tall.

Let me know what you guys think of my system or what do I need to configure better...

Thanks

John
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM

BY the way Prod I might of confused my wording by saying rattle it shakes everything and you know the usual rattleting noise cars make when they have a trunk..EVen my rear view mirrow makes a shaking noise...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Do you guys put thunderous subwoofers in your cars just to bother people? I don't get it. Wouldn't you want the music to sound great INSIDE the car? Why do you want it heard a 1/4 mile away? Or is it just another money-wasting "sport" for young people, to try to be louder than the other guy?

I'm adding an 8-inch sub to my HHR right now, with a 60-watt amp, and I expect it to be too loud. And I've had Bazooka sub tubes in the past, but you could barely hear them outside the car, but inside it was the best stereo you've ever heard.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 AM

To answer your question PhatBob.. I love attention so yes the louder the stereo the better. Of course I will not sounded it off 3 miles prior to getting to my house but before that let the whole world know I love Dance music.. For the most part people will turn around and they will smile back I have not seen one put there window up when I am beide them... I love blonds so hey I love the way they smile back...LOL..... and for security I added a trunk Monkey....

See my link to see my security in my car...its well worth it. Even will take care of your daughter if youe have one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

Enjoy...

JOhn
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Wow, where do I get a trunk monkey? That's great!

Quick Reply: What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?