Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

What is better ported or sealed woofer enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mrarff
Andy, Check this amp install out.Kenwood 4 channel on the left, Kenwood 900 watt RMS mono on the right. This way they are out of sight, and I can STILL get to my spare without problems. (I used the Kenwoods because they both have cooling fans)
I was thinking about that, but the Amp(s) on the ceiling sounds much nicer. There is a shop not too far from where I live that does almost anything you can think of and their quality is great! I want to mount the Amps to the ceiling, and lower the headliner from the "rib" on the ceiling between the rear doors and the rear door. The way I have it sketched out it looks really cool, now I just have to wait a year to get my car back!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by hugheshhr
A ported box is tuned for a specific frequency. The bass will be loudest at that frequency and be diminished some at the rest of the spectrum. A sealed box will cover the complete spectrum more evenly. Ported box seem boomier since they emphasize one freq over the rest. Ported boxes are more sloppy sounding. A sealed box plays tight and controlled better less sloppiness. Sealed boxes can get loud, but require more power than ported for the same volume. Ported boxes are more efficient and get louder with less power. If you are running a smaller amp, a ported box will be louder. I'm running 1100 watts to my two 12's in a sealed box. The freq response is excellent with them. They get rowdy when I want them too, but are clean and controlled at the same time.
Not to dig up a old thread but this is not completely true. Theres sooo many variables when it comes to box type and design. Sub's also some don't work well in sealed environments and some don't work well in ported environments.
I've created a few ported enclosures where the frequency bandwidth of the enclosure played all within 1.5dB of each other on a 50hz bandwidth. Then of course EQ'ed it to play a little flatter but that'n not my point. Typically people don't know how to design ported boxes for a "SQ" type environment. So to say sealed sounds better and plays smoother than a ported enclosure.. not true. You just got to know your vehicle's response and what the sub's like which comes with some testing, can't just drop-in and expect awesome results. This is science after all lol