Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Where to put headunit wires without cutting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:43 PM

Where to put headunit wires without cutting?

I started an aftermarket headunit installation this evening. Ordered the recommended adapters from Crutchfield, including the GMOS-LAN-4 and steering wheel button adapter. Full parts list in this other thread.

Anyway, it's mostly working properly (have to diagnose the steering wheel controls only partially working tomorrow, planning to call Crutchfield), but I'm not looking forward to trying to get all the wires in place for the final install. I'd really rather not cut the plastic out. The headunit itself was recommended by Crutchfield, and technically fits, but only barely. There's zero space behind it for any of the extra wiring or adapter boxes.

Is there space behind the plastic behind the headunit, such that just the connectors could peek through? What's the best way to access that area?
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Here's some research,

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/sear...y=HU%20install
Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I did search (I've been very active on other forums, and get frustrated when newbies don't search), but everything I've read (couple dozen threads at least) either didn't talk about space for wires, or talked about cutting out the plastic behind the head unit. It may come to that, but I was hoping not.

Anyway, I'll be searching/reading some more, but if someone has some information they can chime in with, hopefully it'll help me, and the descriptive thread title will hopefully help others find the info in the future.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 AM
Technical Moderator

I don't get it. What is the difference between cutting the back out and making holes in the back for each connector?

There is plenty of room in the waterfall area for stowage of wires.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Administrator

I've never replaced my HU so, I thought maybe some of our threads might help.
That being said way back during my radio installer days I'd just cut a hole large enough to stuff the wires thru, mind you , there were just the wires no fancy factory like connectors!

Like this vintage Alpine unit!
Old 05-06-2017, 04:57 PM

Here is a post from my thread asking pretty much the same thing showing where I ended up running my wires instead of cutting. I also have 3 sets of RCAs that I ran thru one of the other existing holes but that is not shown for some reason.

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Well the stereo isinstalled . I did not need to cut afterall. This is thanks to the included spacer and the use of short barrel RCA's. My 90* ones are still in the mail and since these fit I went with them. The spacer is actually needed with this HU as the volumn knob prevents the face from coming all the way down without the spacer. Without the space the HU sits half an inch into the dash kit which is why the volumn knob hits.

For the depth the spacer is needed or atleast helps since I did not have to cut. The heat sink on this unit hits the back wall before it can clip into the sleeve without the spacer so I would have had to cut the entire back out to fit the HU. Spacer gave the HU about 1/4 to spare which inturn gave me enough extra room for the rca's.

You can't tell from this pic but this is with the sacer and is not touching. Notice the heatsink on the back of the radio. That was touching without the spacer.

Here is where I mounted the chime box from the axxess/metra wire kit. The rca's had not been ran but had been test fitted at this point. The box has about 3/8" clearance above it from the radio kit's pocket.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Technical Moderator

Here is a pic where you can see what is behind the box, courtesy Chozen317.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 07azhhr
Here is a post from my thread asking pretty much the same thing showing where I ended up running my wires instead of cutting. I also have 3 sets of RCAs that I ran thru one of the other existing holes but that is not shown for some reason.
Thanks. I was starting to notice a bit of space under the HU, behind the HVAC controls. My setup has 2 boxes vs your one, but just as much space is taken up by a rat's nest of wires. I may redo the adapter harness & remove a bunch of wires, though I've also nearly given into the idea that I may have to just go ahead & cut. Planning to pick up a 90 degree adapter for my Dremel today, in case I do. I really like a clean install, even when it's out of sight.

Originally Posted by donbrew
Here is a pic where you can see what is behind the box, courtesy Chozen317.
Thanks, that helps a bit to see the space, and also to see some of what can be cut without causing issues. :)
Old 05-08-2017, 11:24 AM

I gave in & cut.

Function test & adapter programming:

Cutting done mostly with a right-angle adapter on a Dremel, with my wife holding the shop vac nearby to catch scraps

Final hole

Final cleaned up adapter harness
Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Rock on!! It's Monday , Crank IT UP!!!

Quick Reply: Where to put headunit wires without cutting?