Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

will a used sub work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM

will a used sub work

Hey guys im pretty new to the forums and a new hhr owner as well. I have the regular sound system and i seen where the pioneer sub fits in the back. On my wifes car (06 300) i bought her the dual 10" kickers that fit in the trunk from the dealership, for the add on sound system and i installed them with great ease, since it was just plug in and bolt it down.

Ive found a used stock sub/amp that fits in the back of my hhr. But i wanna ask if it will work. i.e. if the wires will be there to plug it in? Will i need to take my car to the dealer and have them use a scan tool to let my car know its there. (had to do that when i put factory fog lights on my wifes car)

I tried using the search and went thru a few pages but it was all custom speakers, and i kinda wanna keep the factory look before i start going for the custom head unit and big box speaker route.

any help will be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM

I'd like to hear that answer, too. I don't want a box in the back and I don't need for my windows to pulse in and out at stoplights but i would like a little more oomph in the low-in. A used factory sub would fit my needs.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:06 PM

I dont have the wires in the back of my LS. If you really want the factory sub/amp, looks like you will need to run wires back there from the head unit.
I dont have the factory unit so I dont know what the inputs are, you may also need a line-out converter. And the factory amp also has outputs for the door speakers, not sure if you would need to hook them up too or not. You would need someone who has experience with car audio to test the outputs/inputs and see if it will all work.
The reason why few people do this is because getting an aftermarket sub and amp is actually easier. I plan on building my own larger box to fit in that spot.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have a good amp i can hook up and from what ive read around here I can sneak a 8" sub in that hole so I might look into that. I dont need/want anything fancy just a little bit more.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by prod
I dont have the wires in the back of my LS. If you really want the factory sub/amp, looks like you will need to run wires back there from the head unit.
I dont have the factory unit so I dont know what the inputs are, you may also need a line-out converter. And the factory amp also has outputs for the door speakers, not sure if you would need to hook them up too or not. You would need someone who has experience with car audio to test the outputs/inputs and see if it will all work.
The reason why few people do this is because getting an aftermarket sub and amp is actually easier. I plan on building my own larger box to fit in that spot.
Thank you! Nice to know before I go and went and did something stoopid like buying one from a salvage yard.

----------------
Now playing: Be Bop Deluxe - Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape
via FoxyTunes
Old 04-02-2011, 10:57 AM

It wouldnt be stupid to buy it. You could also use the factory box with aftermarket sub and amp. It wouldnt be optimal performance, but making a custom box that shape would be difficult.