Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Wiring Harness, Several Available, which work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 AM

I havnt looked at the back of my radio, but thinking on other gm radios and this statment on the ebay site "Plugs into Original Equipment Radio" I belive this is the wrong plug. The top link (one from best buy) is what would plug into this harness, so the top link would be the better choice. This is the harness I have coming:
http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Chevy-HHR-Imp...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM

I am sceptical of that harness because of its price. I am sure it will allow you too hook up your aftermarket radio, but I highly doubt it will keep all the warning chimes. It says nothing about a LAN atatchment which is what your chimes need to be hooked up to to work. It is a green wire.l
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by JoshManHHR
I am sceptical of that harness because of its price. I am sure it will allow you too hook up your aftermarket radio, but I highly doubt it will keep all the warning chimes. It says nothing about a LAN atatchment which is what your chimes need to be hooked up to to work. It is a green wire.l
It will not allow you to keep your chimes, which is what I like about it. I hate all the chimes in any veheicle (mainly the seatbelt chime ). I should of said that in my post but didnt think about it. It will do what I want though, which is getting my radio hooked up and doing away with the chimes.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Lights on, door open, and seat belt chimes. Turn signal and hazard clicker, and key left in ignition buzzer.

Plus sides of wiring direct: you can leave your doors open and play the stereo while cleaning/detailing (stock radio "Shuts off" when driver door is opened). Wire it "hot" and have the option of playing tunes without having the key in. Wire to a higher amp source (center console fusebox), to provide more power (and cleaner sound), for your HU's amp.

Hope it helps,
So these are all bells and whistles. Lights will still come on, turn signal and hazard will work but none will make noise. Did I understand you correctly. If so, which method do you reccomend. the "hot wire" or wiring to a higher amp source. Please explain. It is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:47 PM

I bought the ebay plug because another member, DaJoker, used it. He had to arrange some of the connectors but it did work. Now this is not a pac adapter that will allow you to keep chimes and onstar. This will allow you to connect an aftermarket stereo without butchering your OEM harness.

I will be installing my aftermarket stereo this weekend and will try to use the ebay plug. I will let you know how it works out. I'll try to take pics too. Pics slow the install process and I've been waiting for months to do my install. I've been buying parts as I can afford them. So no guarantees on pics but a guarantee on a product review...

Also I'm only going to need power, ground, remote, and maybe antenna connections (if the HHR has an amplified antenna) since my speakers will all be powered by amps. My remote/ignition will be controlled by the #21 center console fuse that I already use for my Sirius S-50. BTW, does anyone know if the HHR has an amplified antenna? Yeah I could do the search but I'm being lazy...

Ng
Old 07-20-2006, 03:07 PM

Not sure if this will help, but I found this and it seems that it would work. I can't guarantee it. So just check it out.

http://www.metraonline.com/_assets/m...MOS-LAN-03.pdf

http://www.metraonline.com/_assets/m...MOS-LAN-04.pdf

It says it is for the HHR and still allows all the chimes and OnStar to work. I know that SoCal said that one is coming. It seems like Metra might have one

Last edited by robado; 07-20-2006 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by arstron
I havnt looked at the back of my radio, but thinking on other gm radios and this statment on the ebay site "Plugs into Original Equipment Radio" I belive this is the wrong plug. The top link (one from best buy) is what would plug into this harness, so the top link would be the better choice. This is the harness I have coming:
http://cgi.ebay.com/06-Chevy-HHR-Imp...QQcmdZViewItem
This harness is not what you want! When I went to hook mine up today, I realized that both harnesses in the package are exactly the same. This will keep it from hooking up to both the gm connectors, although it does hook up to one of them (the one with the power and ground). I ended up using one the one harness and wiring the other wires to the other harness direct. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

On a couple of side notes, leaving the ignition on for an hour is a huge no no with these vehicles, I can not belive the battery drained that quickly. For another note, Instructions are very good to read and not throw away.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 AM

That harness works just fine if you have the single disc radio with the pioneer system. You have to rearrange some of the wiring on the harness, but otherwise, it does indeed hook up to both factory plugs. Same one that I use in my install.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM

They must have sent the wrong thing to me then, I just have the base cd player. Both of the harnesses had the exact same wires, in the exact same locations, with the exact same plugs.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:44 AM

Just got off the phone with Crutchfield. The sales rep told me that they will NEVER carry a wiring harness for the HHR due to the nature of warning chime system. What kind of crap is that? These guys are supposed to be the leaders of aftermarket installs. I am really loving the Alpine CDA-9856. The idea of controlling my ipod through the head-unit is amazing. It's a great unit, too bad crutchfield refuses to find a working harness because they throw those things in free when you order a head unit.

I am still waiting on the Delco wiring harness with the LAN adapter. I will keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness, Several Available, which work?