Audio and Video All audio, video, alarms, and all other electronics

Wiring Harness, Several Available, which work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ng8650
Started deconstruction of my HHR last night for my stereo install. I test fitted the ebay wiring harness and it does fit both OEM connectors. I didn't have time to check the wire positions, that will probably wait until tomorrow.

Ng

Old 07-23-2006, 12:12 AM

I was out of town today so I couldn't make any real progress. All the panels have been removed along with the OEM stereo, speakers, and sub. I'll start install phase tomorrow. I'll take pics along the way but I probably won't be able to post them until Monday or Tuesday. My install is probably going to take the whole day and maybe even more....

Ng
Old 07-24-2006, 10:27 AM

I hooked up my ebay harness last night and everything works. I only used the power, negative, and dimmer wires. The speaker cables were taped off since my amps will be running all speakers. But the wires are there if you want the head unit to run speakers. I didn't have to move any wires. The white (OEM grey wire) wire will be used as my dimmer. I'm going to assume that if my head unit was pushing my speakers I would've had to.

My ignition wire is coming from the Center console. I only had to use one connector with my setup.

NG
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 AM

The Delco Wiring Harness I ordred does not work. It is a solid one piece unit and it says for a 2004 saturn on the package. It is made by Metra. Now I have to wait for the other harness on ebay while my Alpine sits and waits...
Old 07-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Question

OK I hear everyone saying hard wiring is the best way don't bother with a harness. I'm cool with that, the music will be so loud I won't here the chimes any way. But last time I checked factory wiring is not color coded. Unless you have a harness plug it up and see what matches up to what, how else are you going to know what wires are what witout busting out the multi-meter. Also what wires need to be re arranged on the this harness on EBay, and what is this ignition wire in the center console I keep seeing mentioned. This is my 1st Chevy so I'm not fimilure with how they do they wiring, I've had nothing but Nissan's and it pretty straight forward. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm am not a novice at stereo installs and car audio, I'm just not sure yet of the way GM wires the factory HU's.

Last edited by STR8SiqHHR; 07-30-2006 at 12:45 PM. Reason: mis-spellings
Old 07-27-2006, 03:37 PM

if you do a search you will find that people have posted wiring diagrams for the HHR. You can even ask socalhhr if he can send you a wiring diagram he drew up.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:07 PM

Finally. I put the $6 ebay harness in yesterday. Every single pin on both pieces were in the wrong place. I downloaded the schematics from another post and had to peice by peice the harnes to the propor positions. I put in an Alpine 9856 unit with IPOD control cable. I ran the red wire from the Alpine harness directly to the fuse box ( i piggybacked the rear wiper slot) I also had to cut the top left section of the plastic inside the compartment to make room for the RCA jacks in the back of the Alpine. I ran the IPOD cable through the glovebox. And to my surprise, the factory speakers sound fantastic with the new reciever! Now I am debating weather or not to put in my Soundstream tarantulas 6 1/2 speakers. I didnt have the pioneer upgraded system, so my speaker harness are "one" with the speaker. I orded some toyota speaker brackets that SoCal recommned. Hopefully they will provide a flush fit to keep the sound in the cabin and not in the door itself.