Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

'08 SS stabilizer end links

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:55 PM

'08 SS stabilizer end links

Recently had struts/shocks replaced on my '08 SS (60k+ miles on it)

Just had new "winter only "tires installed (and in the few snowfall situations for far since i've had them on,driving/traction-wise they are GREAT! IMO

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....I2XL&tab=Sizes

While it was in for tires, i asked them to check the front end, since i had a low speed clunk at times. They told me "stabilizer end link on left side worn" and gave a $170'ish estimate for the fix (i'm assuming both sides would get replaced, not sure)

My question here ( found a few on eBay, one being GM EOM, the other being "Deezo"or something along those lines for brandname) is this job something a above average mech inclined person can do? (used to be a Chev dealership mech back in the day,) and know which way is tighten'/loosen LOL, and have the tools and garage space and stands etc.

Is the bar something that is under tension(on jackstands or not) and something you all think is something i can replace without too much trouble?
Anything i should know ahead of time, other than find the part, take it off and install new one(s)

I've done the search function thing regarding the part(noises/clunks etc) but did not see anything about replacing them on the DIY side of things.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Check out the info on page 2 of https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/clunking-issue-solved-30205/

It has pics and part numbers for MOOG branded replacement parts for the swaybar end-links. The pair I picked up at Shucks/ORiley's came to something in the area of $80 (yup, for a pair). The originals maybe a bit difficult to take off but it isn't that big a job. Give it a go. :)

As long as the car is sitting level, they are not under much if any preload tension - I had problems getting the old ones off as the nuts were an interference fit (self-locking), and ended up having to cut two of the nuts with a small dremel cutting wheel. Others have not had similar problems.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Thanks for the link/info.

Picked up a pair from my local lil franchise auto parts (in stock=$35'ish each and MOOG)

Had called the Auto Zone in town , just to price/brand comare(was looking for Moog from reccommedations here and prev. experience with "cheapie" parts. Heck AZ did not have any NOR could they GET any!

I've always said, there's something about dealing with a place where the people behind the counter actually KNOW the stuff they are selling, vs a place where someone just pushes a few computer screen buttons and knowing not much else more.

Since i just got the new winter only tires put on, and pretty much have most everything here vehicle-wise ready for winter, the plan is to get the SS in the garage this weekend , pull the wheels off (front for changing out the stab link ends) and putting on some "extra great" product i picked up to protect wheels from brake dust etc etc and overall to keep them cleaner (and protect them over the winter) and if time/energy/desire holds out, get her a good polish/wax and mebbe paint sealant to get her thru the winter.

Oh,,, and the guy checked when he pulled the parts,,, the Moog ends DO have zerks . wow , just installing the two stab bar end links will 4x the amount of grease fittings on my car

The auto parts guy also said Chev Trailblazers have something along the same lines(maybe even the same part#?) and people he's heard of those that replaced them on Trailblazers (non Moog=greasable) ended up having the dreaded clunk return in a very short time,,,, word to the wise
Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by whopper
- I had problems getting the old ones off as the nuts were an interference fit (self-locking), and ended up having to cut two of the nuts with a small dremel cutting wheel. Others have not had similar problems.
If anything, i might have normal "taking the darn things off /apart" on one end. i had struts replaced a month prior, so it anything the threads/nut have not mended together over two yrs of having the car.

I'll report on how it all goes, if anything to help out those needing to know, in the future, when i get it all done