Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Bigger Rotors!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM

I still have a set of SS parts left over from my Brembo upgrade if anyone wants them.

Ira
Old 03-22-2015, 04:41 PM

I understand that the quest for better, best, and "killer this", that, and the other can consume anyone. But I would really like to be enlightened about a couple of things. I have owned my H since new in 08. It now has 107K miles. Aside from warranty work, I do 95% of any maintenance and repair on my cars. I am 60 yrs old and have been a "gear head" since I was weaned. So much for back ground.

Is there any real point to "upgrading" (past a quality OE rotor and pad configuration) the brakes on a car that weighs in at less than 4K lbs.? I have used EBC pads and rotors, and found them to be over priced and over rated. A quality ceramic pad, such as Bendix, combined with an OE pair of rotors has become my preference. For the past 30 years, I have done all the brake work on my vehicles and for my family.

The vehicle I had prior to my marriage with my H was an 04 Avalanche. 5600 lbs. without my fat behind in the seat. With what I used that beast for , I did need to "upgrade" the calipers, and pads. I wound up with SSBS 6 piston calipers and C5 Corvette pads all around. The "premium" green stuff, red stuff, yellow stuff pads were nothing but brown stuff. The Bendix ceramic pads proved superior.

The other thing is, how do you "warp" a rotor? Besides using an impact tool to install lug nuts improperly, I can't see how it happens. I have the original rotors in use, and they have about 60K on them. I ran them for around 12K, replaced them with EBC slotted, dimpled, and over priced rotors, but I kept the originals. I tired of the poor performance of the high dollar ones, so I went back to the originals. They have yet to be re surfaced (turned). FWIW, dimples, slots, grooves, etc. = less contact area for the pads on the surface of the rotors. Think about it......

Every time my oil is changed, I have the tires rotated and balanced. At this time I look at the pads. I don't take the word of the mechanic, I look to see if they are down to 20% of the material left. If they are, or if they are close, I replace the pads. I do not wait until the rotors are grooved or damaged. Combine this with the used of pads which don't chew up the rotors (ceramic vs. semi metallic) and there is no need to resurface the rotors. Please remember, this is my experience, not gospel, and your mileage will vary.

Something else I have learned the hard way; YOU MUST "bed in" the pads! Every manufacturer has specific recommendations, and this step is crucial. There is a chemical/mechanical process that takes place when new pads first begin to work. If you don't follow this step, yes they will work, but this is the beginning of deposit buildup on the rotors. Over a short period of time, these deposits cause the "shuddering. pulsating, weak feeling" that so many people have complained about. I have never, ever, ever had these issues with my H, and I drive on the interstate all the time with stops on short off ramps from 70-75 mph all the time. Same thing in heavy stop n go city use.

If you want to drive to South Carolina, I will teach you how to install pads on your H, and I am cheaper than the chain stores! LOL!

Last edited by mrarff; 03-24-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Bed-in or burnishing is a must do step for all the cars I've ever worked on and yup! It has always worked !
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by mrarff
Is there any real point to "upgrading" (past a quality OE rotor and pad configuration) the brakes on a car that weighs in at less than 4K lbs.?
After upgrading my SS from the normal SS brakes to the Brembo brakes the brake pedal feel is so much better and the required pedal pressure is significantly less. I can now play with the ABS if I want without pressing as hard as I can. I finally feel like it has good brakes, one's I can trust. Then again my first car was a Lotus 7, so my expectations of what is good might be a bit different.

But having done it, if I ever got another HHR, that would be the first thing I would do, even if it meant buying new wheels.

Ira
Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Administrator

That firmer pedal could also be the new flex lines from the Brembo SS
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by lazaino
After upgrading my SS from the normal SS brakes to the Brembo brakes the brake pedal feel is so much better and the required pedal pressure is significantly less. I can now play with the ABS if I want without pressing as hard as I can. I finally feel like it has good brakes, one's I can trust. Then again my first car was a Lotus 7, so my expectations of what is good might be a bit different.

But having done it, if I ever got another HHR, that would be the first thing I would do, even if it meant buying new wheels.

Ira
To each his own, but do your self a solid by following the recommended procedures on all your pad installations.

Happy Motoring!