Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front-end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:03 PM

Front-end clunking

Good afternoon all. I have a 2007 HHR LS (Canadian) and have had the clunking in the front end start about a year ago. Back then, the dealer replaced the end-link bushings and all was good. Now, the clunking is back but the car is out of warranty. Even though this is a known issue, the dealer is giving me a hard time about doing the work.

That being said, if I actually have to pay for this, is there an upgrade or after-market end-link or even just the bushings that I can get that will fix this problem once and for all?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Annoying Clunking

Hello! Let me preface this by saying I'm NOT mechaincally inclined, so I know not what I'm talking about. Onto the problem....While driving I have a very annoying rattling that sounds as if it may be under the car. It doesn't seem to have any effect on performance, handling, etc...
A friend of mine described it to a "T" when I told him about it. He asked if it was only when I was driving around town, but went away as I got on a nice smooth stretch of interstate. "Yes, that's exactly it!"
He proceeds to tell me it's the blah blah blah joint in the steering box and it's very common that Chevrolet's have this problem.
Has anyone had this issue? Is he blowing smoke?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Jayhawker
Old 06-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

IIRC Moog makes better ones.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brakes-%7C-suspension-%7C-shocks-%7C-struts-24/moog-end-link-grease-nipple-fittings-29505/
Old 06-19-2010, 12:25 PM

thanks sleeper!

jayhawker - sounds like you have the same problem I do. You'll also notice that when turning, the clunking seems to also go away. I've had the end link bushings replaced in the past and it fixed the problem until just recently.

here's what I think is happening. Because the bushings are all but gone, as soon as the car wants to rock from side to side, the end link joints are hitting the struts hence the metal on metal clunking. I would think (I may be completely out to lunch here) that when on the highway, the air pressure pushes the front down, putting pressure on the struts and "wedging" the end links. Because they are in constant contact, the noise goes away. Same thing when turning, you're putting pressure on the struts and no noise.

if someone has a better explanation, or if this is completely wrong, please correct me.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Btw, would anyone know where I can find these in the Toronto area and what I should expect to pay?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

Try A&A Discount Auto Parts Ltd. I believe there is one in Mississauga. They carry Moog suspension parts. Less $'s than the Dealer. Hope this helps.