Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Front Sway bar bushings

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by prod

You are looking at part #5, the clamp bolts and nuts are tightened to 37ft/lbs. Cut line of the insulators face rearwards.
good front end blow-up.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 PM

I have a 007 HHR LT that makes a fast knocking noise when I hit the brakes a little hard. I just took the car in today to a so-so shop for repairright control arm.s. They replaced the front struts and lower right control arm. I originally wanted them to replace the sway bar bushings and links, but they said they were ok. I jacked up the car tonight and I could put a screwdriver between the bushing and the sway bar. Could the bushings be making this noise or could it be the brakes. Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Could be the sway bar bushings - esp. if the road is not laser smooth. The bushings are definitely shot if you can poke a screwdriver between them.

Last edited by whopper; 08-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 PM

dirtydoug0070… I have the exact same symptoms…hit the brake hard and there is a fast knocking sound that sounds like it is only on the front drivers side. I replaced the tie rod end tonight, but the knock is still there. I don't think it is the end links (Moog greasable ones on there right now). There doesn't seem to be any play in them. I also don;t think it is the sway bar bushings, did those a year ago or so and they seem fine. My guess is something with the steering rack, but can't quite figure out where the bushing is on that.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vandan
dirtydoug0070… I have the exact same symptoms…hit the brake hard and there is a fast knocking sound that sounds like it is only on the front drivers side. I replaced the tie rod end tonight, but the knock is still there. I don't think it is the end links (Moog greasable ones on there right now). There doesn't seem to be any play in them. I also don;t think it is the sway bar bushings, did those a year ago or so and they seem fine. My guess is something with the steering rack, but can't quite figure out where the bushing is on that.

No bushing on the rack.

Lower Control Arm bushing? That's my guess.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:34 PM

I'll have to head back to my local NAPA because I thought one of the guys there said that they had problems with their HHR and had replaced the bushing somewhere on the steering rack/column/... I'll see if I can get the lower control arm bushing to flex with a crow bar. My wife did hit a curb last year in the snow and we had to have the drivers side control arm replaced… It has been good until recent.

dan
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM

I'll have to head back to my local NAPA because I thought one of the guys there said that they had problems with their HHR and had replaced the bushing somewhere on the steering rack/column/... I'll see if I can get the lower control arm bushing to flex with a crow bar. My wife did hit a curb last year in the snow and we had to have the drivers side control arm replaced… It has been good until recent.

dan
The bushing wears out. You need to visually inspect it. It is has holes in it from the factory, but they get shredded. A screwdriver and a flashlight is all that's needed.

Use the SEARCH box, there is lots of info about them.

Other things, since it's been replaced is check the torque specs. Struts bent/broken/worn out.

The only bushing in the front that I am aware of are the sway bar and sway bar links and LCA. Parts Counter guys are usually no smarter than you.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 PM

hello all, great forum!

not to start up the old thread for these sway bar bushings, but...

jacked up the car on driver's side. front (15mm) bolt out just fine. back (10mm) would not budge! used 3/8 drive ratchet with short socket and medium extension. just wants to strip. and that top nut, the open end 15mm wrench slips and i cannot get a nice twist due to room (and the brake lines are in the way).

am i missing something? thanks for any suggestions.

-b24
Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM

dan
There are two bushings in the steering rack where it bolts to the frame, these might be what your parts man was talking about.

WoW! I did not realize how old your post was. Man am I on top of things or what?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by bluetwofour
hello all, great forum!

not to start up the old thread for these sway bar bushings, but...

jacked up the car on driver's side. front (15mm) bolt out just fine. back (10mm) would not budge! used 3/8 drive ratchet with short socket and medium extension. just wants to strip. and that top nut, the open end 15mm wrench slips and i cannot get a nice twist due to room (and the brake lines are in the way).

am i missing something? thanks for any suggestions.

-b24
Yes you are missing something. Use the search box to find a few more threads about getting those things out. The "book" says to drop the cradle a couple of inches, but necessity is the motha of invention.

If it's not in this thread it's in one of the other 10 on the subject.