Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

What size sway bar links?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Technical Moderator

What size sway bar links?

2008 HHR LT 2.2L non-sport non-turbo auto trans. How come all the parts books seem to say 12 inch, but mine measure 10 inch (center to center)? If I am replacing both will the sway bar just adjust for the length? Just saw FE1 RPO
Old 05-13-2011, 01:17 PM

There are two lengths available at most places, just go with whatever your car came with.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Technical Moderator

I guess my real question is, since I already bought the 12 inch ones from the Ebay, will they work I.E. is the sway bar the same across RPO's, or is it just the links that are different?
Old 05-13-2011, 02:55 PM

You definitely should not install longer links if your originals measured 10", center-to-center! We had the same issue when we installed our new Eibach front bar along with some high dollar adjustable links off of ebay! We needed 10", center-to-center and with the links adjusted to there shortest length possible they were 3/8" to long! Nothing major but we will address shortning them to the desired 10" length as time permits! 3/8" is temporarally acceptable but I wouldn't install the 12" ones! You might need to send them back!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 05-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Technical Moderator

You definitely should not install longer links if your originals measured 10", center-to-center! We had the same issue when we installed our new Eibach front bar along with some high dollar adjustable links off of ebay! We needed 10", center-to-center and with the links adjusted to there shortest length possible they were 3/8" to long! Nothing major but we will address shortning them to the desired 10" length as time permits! 3/8" is temporarally acceptable but I wouldn't install the 12" ones! You might need to send them back!

But, what exactly is the difference between using the two different lengths? Why not install the longer ones? Do they rub, not fit, handle badly, don't work.

Evidently, (but I have read contradictory accounts) the longer ones are for FE5 the handling package
Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 AM

where the bar end meets the lower control arm the bar should be level...other then clearance possibilities I dont think the bar really cares where it is , it stil has to bend to work...unless its so extreme that it looses the leverage factor, and I mean extreme. Street cars would never notice unless you have contact issues.....race cars would notice as every part is married together and 1/4 inch can make or break a race. Then again we street cars dont push our tire capabilities to the max every single time we drive, thus the angle is not as critical, unless your one of those where absolutly everything has to be perfect even though there is nothing gain types....
Old 05-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Technical Moderator

The good news is I found that there is no clearance issue. Nobody could give me a reason to not try, so I did. Strange thing is, the old ones were worn out like 3/4 inch play and not clunking. After the new ones I got a new clunk.

To make a sentence that the Google world will pick up. 12 inch sway bar links will replace 10 inch sway bar links on a 2008 HHR LT (RPO FE1, touring). I will make no claims regarding handling, don't know don't care. I do not race all I do is haul stuff around. Have Car Will Travel (for pay).
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 PM

That new clunk very well could be the sway bar bushings being worn....it allows the bar to shift which is what your probably hearing...with the worn links I'd say the load wasnt there to move the bar as the links took it all up with the play....
Old 05-15-2011, 01:58 AM

Yeah I'm sure there is someone out here that could or will explain the theroy on the bar being in a so called nuetral position when the car has say a rolling load on it which should be the optimum operating position! But since you are just wanting the two ends to be connected and are only concerned about clearence issues you seem set to go!

Best-O-Luck ,
Old 05-15-2011, 05:43 AM
geg

amazing!
I did not know before, that the links are of different size!
I'll go measuring my links. Ahead - the next replacement.
Way. Who has information? What a size Sway bar link from HHR LT 2.4 2006? I usually buy what is cheaper. There is a possibility that I bought out the links not the correct size.

Quick Reply: What size sway bar links?