Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

What size sway bar links?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:54 PM
geg

guys! Of course there is a risk.
But do not forget - I'm doing an experiment.
On Saturday I will be installing these links to my suspension. While I do not foresee complications, but the practice will confirm or refute my calculations.
Like I said, the length and diameter of the threaded pins are identical. I measured. Thus, links have to get tight connection (at least I hope so).
With regard to Korean manufacturing. I have no complaints about the quality of Korean. I exploited a Toyota for many years and bought a Korean-made parts. They were always good quality. Moreover, the link Acdelko on my picture - Korean production, and it is still workable (unfortunately, his brother died).
Price a little because I bought this links with my new friend. In my search I met a real enthusiast and professional. He became interested in the problem, looking at special sites, telephone communication with suppliers. As a result, we gave up a few options (Zafira, Astra, Mondeo, Tundra), and returned to the Camry. He promised to bring the links for 10 days at cost (no extra charge to the business). But the next day found out the links in one of our stores, in Ekaterinburg and agreed with the owner, so he sold out the links cheap. So, I got a 25% discount ($ 11)!
After some time I'll tell you a successful experiment or not.
Incidentally, similar experiments with the brake pads and a temperature sensor certainly successful.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:34 AM
geg

Guys. Little progress report.

And so:
1. links from the Camry installed in the suspension of my HHR on Saturday, June 4. At the same time replaced the stabilizer bushings.
2. Links embarked on the regular places "as native". I did not even take pictures - the difference is not seen visually.
3. I use vehicles 10 days, the mileage of 250 miles - no problems. Perfect peace in the suspension.

Conclusion: Camry 2003 - 2006 (Avalon, Solara, Lexus GS) links are perfect for HHR. A difference of 10 mm length does not matter, does not affect the steering handling, braking and all other parameters.

Practical importance for the United States: guys! in your country a lot of spare parts. My experience is interesting for you only as a casus or for urgent solutions in the shortage of parts.
For residents of countries where the search HHR-parts is a problem - an easy and effective decision, use compulsory.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:16 AM

Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by geg
Guys. Little progress report.

And so:
1. links from the Camry installed in the suspension of my HHR on Saturday, June 4. At the same time replaced the stabilizer bushings.
2. Links embarked on the regular places "as native". I did not even take pictures - the difference is not seen visually.
3. I use vehicles 10 days, the mileage of 250 miles - no problems. Perfect peace in the suspension.

Conclusion: Camry 2003 - 2006 (Avalon, Solara, Lexus GS) links are perfect for HHR. A difference of 10 mm length does not matter, does not affect the steering handling, braking and all other parameters.

Practical importance for the United States: guys! in your country a lot of spare parts. My experience is interesting for you only as a casus or for urgent solutions in the shortage of parts.
For residents of countries where the search HHR-parts is a problem - an easy and effective decision, use compulsory.
So, how are the experimental links lasting now??? I'm looking at my 2008 HHR LT for another set of links and wonder if there is something better you found for us to use...
Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 PM

as cheap and available as they are here in the U.S. install the moog replacements! try to get the shorter ones .....
Old 01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
geg

Originally Posted by MidgetHurse-LT
So, how are the experimental links lasting now??? I'm looking at my 2008 HHR LT for another set of links and wonder if there is something better you found for us to use...
All is fine, man.

My links are alive, they feel fine.
Some Belarusian and Russian guys followed my example. They confirm - an excellent result.

An important caveat: Camry links stronger than HHR links. I do not know the reason, but it's true.
Therefore, I recommend a closer look at it.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM

I'm not sure I understand a "level" bar position. My sway bar ends are slightly downward. Level, but slighty downward. Wrong length end links?
2009 LS FE1

Texasmagpie
Old 08-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Nobody ever explained the reasoning for the geometry. BUT, I DO know for a fact that the 12 inch links will make contact with the LCAs and cause more movement in the sway bar (because it's a longer lever). This I have directly observed with my own 2 eyes.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:16 PM

They look 12" long. When the car is in the air and the suspension is relaxed that sway bar is really close to the LCA.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 AM
geg

Hi guys.
I promised to report in detail on the results of the experiment with links to Cymru. https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...e5/#post567907
I'm ready to announce. And so:

Left link died two days ago. Thus a set of links served me exactly 3 years from 15.06.2011 to 16.06.2014. The result is very good. (GM links I changed every 7 - 8 months).
For all time of experimentation suspension good behavior. No differences from the standard suspension.
Links for Camry widely available in any store. No problems with the order, just came and bought. Almost all well-known manufacturers Make this part : Moog, "SWAG "," TRW ", and several dozen factories.
The last 2 years on Russian space (countries of the former USSR and Russia), more than half HHR use only Camry links - not a single complaint I have not heard or read in the forums.

Characteristics. I used the links: Original Part № 48820-28050 - a replacement for 10 inch GM links (Length Camry link 260 mm / 10.24 inches). As a replacement for 12 inch link probably will not do.

I found analogs (if you not confusing Russian site): Toyota 48820-28050 ?????? ????????????? ?????????
list of Toyota models that use link Part № 48820-28050: ALPHARD, CAMRY, ESTIMA HYBRID, ESTIMA T/L, HARRIER, HARRIER HV, HIGHLANDER , HIGHLANDER/KLUGER, KLUGER , LEXUS ES300, LEXUS ES300/330 , LEXUS RX270/350/450H, LEXUS RX300/330/350, LEXUS RX330/350(JPP), LEXUS RX350/450H, LEXUS RX400H, PREVIA/TARAGO , WINDOM and more/

Summary: Camry links suitable for HHR without alterations and improvements, just install and go for a drive. Camry links from the average manufacturers will last approximately 3 years, from a good manufacturer probably more - it is 3 times better than the GM links.
Disadvantages: not revealed, even the price is cheaper.

Previously, I recommend using the Camry links as a forced measure.
Now recommend using Camry links always and everyone. If you want to forget about the rattle - suspension.