Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Looking for a good source and recommendation on Sway Bar Bushings for my 2009 HHR

Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 PM

Looking for a good source and recommendation on Sway Bar Bushings for my 2009 HHR

Looking for a good source and recomdation on Sway Bar Bushings for my 2009 HHR.
The dealer replaced JUST the right side sway bar bushing on my 2009 hhr and the bumping noise from the passenger side floor went away for about a month,, Now i got a bumping noise on the driver side,, im sure its the left side sway bar bushing, i would like to put a better set in, ( you think the dealer would replace both right,,,, lol.. but nnnoo ) i rather do it myself,,
So i live in the PA area and there are potholes and sort of rough roads,
can anyone recomend a goos quality set that will be suitable for street use but stand up for a while...??
Thanks Much,,
Looking for exact supplier, part #, and site link if possible,,,

MUCH Appreciated.. :))

PS: has anyone done the job of replacing them..? is it straight forward or do i have to take out the motor...lol???
Old 01-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Deceased

to the forum chatvmax!

Here's a good thread on sway bar bushings for you to read over, I use ones made by Energy Suspension, there's a link to them in the thread.

Since you didn't specify which model HHR you have, you need to know the SS model uses 23mm bushings, while the LS and LT's use 25mm bushings.

Link follows.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...=sway+bushings

Last edited by 843de; 01-28-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Technical Moderator

New ones will cost about $20 for the pair. A little tricky to install, but actually easy. The local Advance/Zone/Pep should be able to fix you up, the parts are actually pretty "generic" based on diameter of the bar and mounting system. The after market ones will probably be greaseable and not "rubber", unlike the OEM.

Search this site there are a couple of threads about the install, you basically need jack stands, a deep well socket (10mm, if I remember right) and flexible elbows. About an hours work.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
geg

greeting and welcome.

couple of thoughts on the stabilizer bushings.

1. Stabilizer bushings should be replaced in pairs. You can not change a 1 stabilizer bushing - expires 2 - 3 months and her sister dies, you need the job twice (or pay twice, even more insulting.). It is a law of nature, it applies to all two-body parts - stabilizer links, springs, shock absorbers, the bulbs in the headlights (even the chicks in the back seat). The formula of the law is very simple: paired parts have even wear, but death comes not at the same time. If you put a new part next to the old, the rookie puts the burden on the old part, brings his fast death.
Your dealer or lazy or incompetent. Forget about him.

2. If you replacement bushings youself. You need a hoist, lift (or a good jack and 2 "pyramid" if you are willing to do the work lying down).
Raise the car, front wheel should be hung (not touching the floor). The subframe will bother you - loosen the mounting bolts. The subframe is mounted on four long bolts, unscrewed them so that the subframe suspended in 5 - 6 inches from the car body. Be careful - if the subframe falls, he will crush you.
Then simply. You got access to the stabilizer - stabilizer bushings make a change, bring the subframe to the starting position.
At the same time you can inspect and regulate the steering rack (if your steering rack have the adjustment mechanism). In order not to unscrew the subframe for the second time.

Good luck to you.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/fil.../3/6/stab1.jpg
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Welcome, chatvmax, to the site.....Take out the motor, I never would have thought of that, I just took it to my buddy Chucky, He made it look easy. Which HHR do you have the 23mm bar or the 25mm bar, I have a extra set for the 23mm bar

If yours is 25 this company was easy to deal with and fast on delivery.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2012, 09:32 AM

I believe have the same problem! Mine started around 17,000 miles and the dealer fixed it. 44,000 the problem returned ? Its only on the right. I have found an excellent mechanic that hasn't worked on my HHR because of the warranty. Yesterday i took it to him to look at . He really went over it and let me under to show me what he found. He thought the sway bar was bent ! At each place it comes close to a large light colored heavy part that i am nut sure what it is called. On the drivers side about 1/4 inch of clearance and signs off scraping . On the other side almost 1/2 to 3/4 clearance and no signs of hitting. I of to the dealer with this new info and would like anyones thoughts!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cropduster
I believe have the same problem! Mine started around 17,000 miles and the dealer fixed it. 44,000 the problem returned ? Its only on the right. I have found an excellent mechanic that hasn't worked on my HHR because of the warranty. Yesterday i took it to him to look at . He really went over it and let me under to show me what he found. He thought the sway bar was bent ! At each place it comes close to a large light colored heavy part that i am nut sure what it is called. On the drivers side about 1/4 inch of clearance and signs off scraping . On the other side almost 1/2 to 3/4 clearance and no signs of hitting. I of to the dealer with this new info and would like anyones thoughts!
That's a tough one to diagnose without some pictures.Anyway to posts some pics so we can get a look.
Oh Yeah. WELCOME TO THE SITE.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by cropduster
It sounds like the bar traveled laterally, and contacted something (lower control arm?). That can be fixed. The bar is supposed to be able to self-center, but there are "collars" (lack of better term) that are supposed to keep it from hitting anything. If you are replacing bushings, just make sure it is re-centered, and can't "wander" like that again ("collars" close enough to stop it).