Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Power Steering issues still after motor change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Power Steering issues still after motor change

OK guys I need some help. I tried to be my girlfriends hero by fixing her power steering which went out a few weeks ago but after following the common advice; checking the fuses and replacing the motor, and have yet to achieve hero car mechanic status in her eyes and she is wondering why we just wasted $140 on parts.

After replacing the motor and it still not working I checked the connector the motor connects to and there is no voltage when the wheel is turned. I am thinking it is this control box that is the problem but I am not sure. I can not check the voltage by the passenger compartment because my multi meter leads do not get down there right and the leads to the fuse under the hood are only about .3 volts which seems low but I do not know. I have tested the #19 and #1 fuses and they are ok.

Does anyone have some advice on where to look at next or know where I can find a wiring diagram to help isolate where the problem is?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:46 PM

There was an hhr wide extended warranty on the power steering motor. IDK though bow that you replaced it yourself. Maybe you can return the motor you bought and bring it to a dealership for the free replacement.. Did she keep the letter she got about it?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:48 PM

Hi Brett, to the forums!!

It looks like you checked the right fuses, so that's a good start.
The power steering has an extended warranty that you should check out.
Here is a link to the thread for that.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gm-r...tension-50057/

If you decide to take it in for the warranty, you may need to put it all back the way it was.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:39 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

You didn't say exactly what you were trying to fix?

The rear wire on the side of the underhood fuse box runs directly to the EPS unit.

AND, that is fuse #1 underhood and fuse #19 inside on the BCM. You do know there are 2 fuse boxes?

red circle is the lead to the EPS.
Power Steering issues still after motor change-uhfb.png
Old 04-15-2017, 05:39 PM

After taking it on another test drive and putting the front on jack stands it sounds and feels like it could be the rack and pinion or the steering column. It feels like there is rubber rubbing against something in the steering system that is preventing everything from moving freely. I can not imagine that the column would just go out since it should be very simple but maybe the rack has a seal that has come loose. Maybe tonight I will crawl under there and take a look.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 AM

Just in case this is useful to someone in the future I took it to a mechanic and they found a 20 amp mini fuse that was the culprit. I am not sure exactly which fuse number it was but it also fixed the ac and sunroof problem. If your sunroof, ac and power steering don't work and you do not have any power steering warnings displaying I would just check all of the 20 amp fuses.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:17 AM

Not to sound rude but when dealing with any problem you should always check fuses first, unless the problem is strictly mechanical like suspension components and such. Start with the simplest solution because mre than likely that is it! One time I started my HHR and the entire guage cluster was dead, but back lit. Turned out to be a loose fuse in the passenger foot well! I could have been screwed over if I had brought it somewhere!