Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Quick Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM

To be honest, Monroe hasn't fixed the quick struts. If you want to do the job once and corrextly, just buy the struts and mounts and reuse your old springs. Job done correctly.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM

+1, when you change struts KEEP the OEM springs.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by barfan1
To be honest, Monroe hasn't fixed the quick struts. If you want to do the job once and corrextly, just buy the struts and mounts and reuse your old springs. Job done correctly.
barfan1,

1. Monroe says they HAVE fixed them.
2. It is pretty hard to do it once, if you don't know there is going to be a problem. Of course all of us on this thread know it, but we didn't until we went looking for answers!

Thanks to the internet and everyone here who is willing to take the time to share and help others!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM

just spoke with the nice folks at monroe.....new QS's on the way....just need to return the "ols" ones after the install. the tech dept is aware of the problem, hence the replacements.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:24 PM

If Monroe has fixed them, then how can they still sell the 172179L and 172179R QS units for both the HHR and Cobalt? There online catalog was updated on Jan.1, 2012 and it still shows this in the listings. You cannot use Cobalt springs on an HHR nor can you use HHR springs on a Cobalt. I was a very loyal customer to Monroe for almost 15 years. After the last two purchases of Monroe struts for the HHR and another vehicle, I am done with them. They have serious quality and application research issues. I myself being in the product development of aftermarket automotive parts, when there are other competitors to Monroe doing a better job, you need to step your quality and drive people to your product, not away.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:36 PM

[QUOTE=MichiganMarty;611155]I am on the second set of Monroe quick struts in less that a month due to spring noise. The noise is not from the springs hitting the wheel well. It is from "Spring Binding" - - which is the coils hitting another coil above or below it.

On mine the top winding in the seat hits the next winding down.

A call to Monroe says they are familiar with the issue and a letter went out to all distributors that effective July 1, 2011, the "in stock" quick struts needed to be returned for the upgrades.

The upgraded units have two @ symbols on the box label.

...hoping that since monroe's sending my replacements directly from their michigan facility that the SPRINGS will be of the correct length and rate. i'll compare side-by-side with one of the QS's when i do the swap........
Old 01-16-2012, 05:41 PM

[QUOTE=MichiganMarty;611155]I am on the second set of Monroe quick

anyone know there these "@" symbols would appear on the box's label..?? next to the p/n..??
Old 01-20-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by MichiganMarty
I am on the second set of Monroe quick struts in less that a month due to spring noise. The noise is not from the springs hitting the wheel well. It is from "Spring Binding" - - which is the coils hitting another coil above or below it.

On mine the top winding in the seat hits the next winding down.

A call to Monroe says they are familiar with the issue and a letter went out to all distributors that effective July 1, 2011, the "in stock" quick struts needed to be returned for the upgrades.

I am now waiting on O'Reilly Auto Parts to get in another set from a different warehouse. We shall see.

In the meantime, I am on the second front end alignment and now looking at a third @ $50 / whack at my local Belle Tire dealer.

Kudos to Belle Tire though - they have a front-end alignment tech there that does my alignments 'spot on'. Best alignments I ever got.
UPS just brought my NEW QS's direct from monroe l..... checked the box's end label...dont see any @@ symbols anywhere....just a YELLOW tape tag on the strut's springs.....didn't have any such tag on the QS's that are presently installed.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by alexrckid
UPS just brought my NEW QS's direct from monroe l..... checked the box's end label...dont see any @@ symbols anywhere....just a YELLOW tape tag on the strut's springs.....didn't have any such tag on the QS's that are presently installed.
Did you count the coils to compare. A previous post had pics that showed an extra "coil" on the Cobalt struts.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you count the coils to compare. A previous post had pics that showed an extra "coil" on the Cobalt struts.
didn't get there yet....will compare this w/e and post..........just wondering.....which would seem to have MORE front end weight...HHR or a cobalt..??

Quick Reply: Quick Struts