Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Quick Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by alexrckid
monroe did me good by finally sending me the updated QS's with the correct springs.have put probably 5 thousand miles on them with NO PROBLEMS at all..........
Good to hear.... I think that we can conclude that they did resolve their QS spring problem.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 PM

So is it worth it to get the QS rather than just the strut and doing it that way???

I would/NEED to save the $140 difference so I can get tires!!!

For that much difference I could even get some lower rear springs!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by rroadkilll
So is it worth it to get the QS rather than just the strut and doing it that way???

I would/NEED to save the $140 difference so I can get tires!!!

For that much difference I could even get some lower rear springs!!!
Depends on how much you value your time and how comfortable your are with compressing & swapping springs. It's mostly a convenience thing. I didn't need new springs, but doing the work in my driveway, I figure it saved me an hour or two (including borrowing/finding a spring compressor). So if you need the money and have free time, the QS is probably not a good option for you.

Yves
Old 08-29-2015, 07:40 AM

Well, after over three years of Monroe Quick Struts on my HHR, I can honestly say I have lost faith in Monroe. I just replace them with KYB.

The quick struts were nothing but trouble right out of the gate, coming with the spring coils crashing together and my front end being 1" lower than factory. The third set of quick struts had the updated coil springs and the coils were not crashing into each other anymore. At the end, the struts were making so much noise I hated even driving it anymore.

I was really unhappy about the loss in ride height in the front. It screwed up my headlight aim, and in a car that is absolutely terrible on Michigan winter snow covered roads, made it even worse due to the loss in road/snow clearance.

I am really happy with the KYB's. I did have to buy a pair of Moog coil springs (since I threw my factory springs away after installing the first set of quick struts) and these Moog's returned my car to the factory height.

My headlight aim is back to normal. I know the winter driving will improve. And the KYB's are quiet. Yes, I used all KYB components except the springs.

The new level of "quiet" allowed me to hear the bad axle shafts and now those are new.

I took the Monroes back to O'Reilly's and they honored the lifetime warranty (even after three years) and gave me my money back.