Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

rear calipers dragging, fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 01:25 PM

rear calipers dragging, fixed

So the other day I noticed my e-brake would not release entirely on my SS with rear discs. After pushing the button, the handle would fall and did not have any tension on the cables. My first thought was a seized e-brake cable. So I took the center console apart so I could see the cables pulling (or not). My right side was moving, but the left cable seemed seized. I use my ebrake all the time because my driveway is on a slight hill and I have a 5speed. Anyway, the issue could only be 1 of 2 issues- cable seized in its sheath, or my left rear caliper won't release. Jacked the car up, whipped off the left rear wheel to look at the caliper. The lever on the caliper where the cable mounts was seized solid. Tapped it with a hammer while spraying the pivot with PB Blaster. The lever unseized, and I could see the cable moving freely under the center console. So, the cable was fine, left caliper needed lubed. I shot the right side while I was under there and now my ebrake works fine and RELEASES fine.

Moral of the story is don't presume it's a seized cable. Took 1/2 hour taking my time and the only cost was 1/4 bottle of PB Blaster. Hope this helps others.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:41 PM
Administrator

Great report, hopefully saving more SS owners time and money.
This should be part of the 6 month inspection, or even annual inspection, if your SS is a summer only ride.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:10 PM

Great story. You wouldn't happen to be an engineer in that college town, would you? It sounds like the stuff we ask techs to do for problem-solving. Well done, and well-explained.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Great story. You wouldn't happen to be an engineer in that college town, would you? It sounds like the stuff we ask techs to do for problem-solving. Well done, and well-explained.
Ha! Nope. I'm a body shop manager at the local Chevy dealership. Of all things I have a psychology degree with a sociology minor. Comes in handy when I'm dealing with less than "savory" individuals.
But I always try to work smarter, not harder. May take a little longer investigating, but will save time in the actual repair and saves money- usually.