Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Reuse of bumpstops with Cobalt SS coils

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:34 PM

As SSGuy/Sleeper advised, adding lower rear springs without adding a swaybar would not make your car more "loose" if I got your question correct.

Adding lower rear springs (Cobalt SS/SC or SS/TC) will lower your rear (and total) center of gravity or CG. It will also most likely stiffen the rear of the car, unless you are going from an '09-'10 2LT FE-3 to a Cobalt SS/SC set of rear springs (that option may be a wash in stiffness). If you stiffen the rear of the car, you will reduce understeer, or the reduce front end plowing that most front drivers have naturally. I cannot see these springs reducing an HHR's understeer to the point of causing oversteer (or "loose" in NASCAR terms). Also, the lower rear will make the whole car handle better with its lower CG.

You asked if the car with lower springs would be more loose if you didn't install a bar with the springs. Read that again. If you add an anti-roll bar on the rear, it will do the same thing as the stiffer, lower springs. It will reduce understeer. In other words, either will reduce push, and both together will probably doubly reduce push. However, you asked if adding the springs without the bar would make it too loose. No. The implication of what you asked made it sound like stiffer springs require an anti-roll or sway bar. The answer is no. Lower springs are normally stiffer than a taller spring for the same car. Both lower springs and an anti-roll bar stiffen a car in a turn. Anti-roll bars do not affect ride in a straight line, where as stiffer springs do.

I hope this helps. Listen to SSGuy/Sleeper. He has done this conversion, and is a very experienced internal combustion vehicle man (and a cool guy).

God Bless, Marc
Old 02-04-2010, 07:09 AM

Thanks Sleeper/Marc! I definetly want to lower the rear but want it to be safe to drive and safe for the car as well that's all I was worried about. I will get around to swapping those out soon I hope. I keep forgetting to write down the part number for the springs I have, but they don't match the #'s I saw in another thread? They have purple tags on them I know that. I also plan to get some powdercoat so I can do my ralley wheels I have. Also have a muffler/tip to put on....I guess I better get busy
Old 02-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sgtsteve
Thanks Sleeper/Marc! I definetly want to lower the rear but want it to be safe to drive and safe for the car as well that's all I was worried about. I will get around to swapping those out soon I hope. I keep forgetting to write down the part number for the springs I have, but they don't match the #'s I saw in another thread? They have purple tags on them I know that. I also plan to get some powdercoat so I can do my ralley wheels I have. Also have a muffler/tip to put on....I guess I better get busy
Steve-

No problem, many on here are using the Cobalt SS rear springs..& I have never read about anyone having any issue(s)...
and FWIW: my ride quality is still very comfortable, comparable to like it was, before my SS/TC springs..
1" is a safe drop..I have raised it & set the body on jack stands & let the axle hang, & the SS/TC springs were still slightly compressed.. This is good..

It's when some springs drop more than 2", (not Eibach tho) that putting the vehicle on a lift becomes a possible issue..
You can read that there are some here that posted that when lifted on the rack (at a shop) that the rear stock shocks extend longer than the 2"+ shorter springs, & fall out or get loose.

As to the purple tags: I've been told here by "Tony the Parts Guy", that they can come that way. And having different #'s on them does not necessarily mean they are in-correct..

Here's what I know: Stock rear springs are 13" long, out of the HHR. & the Cobalt SS/TC are 12" long.
both have 8 winds.

The swap is simple as changing a tire. But would remind you to remove the brake line bracket bolt on each side Prior to sagging the rear axle..Better safe than sorry on that..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM

My SS springs got delivered today and better yet the Mrs. was out so I got no explaining to do. Great!Though I'm sure she would understand the safer handling story I had all prepared. I'm going to my buddies shop and install myself this weekend. I'll let everyone know how they ride and look, but I'm sure they'll be just like you guys said. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

It's all good....
I love getting my packages here, while the lil woman is at the Hospital working...
Old 02-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Put my rear SS springs in this morning and been cruising around like a teenager all day. Dropped the rear 1 1/4 inches and now I have the stance I was looking for. I can feel the difference in handling too. I probably wouldn't have done this simple mod if it wasn't for this forum. Thanks HHR Nation!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Cool...."cruising around like a teenager all day"....... That's got me laughing...
Glad you are happy with them.. Best mod I did for mine..

1 1/4" drop sounds like the SS/SC rear springs..

Headlights/fogs 'might' need a bit of re-adjusting.. It's all good..
Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 AM

I'll have to wait to do mine, would have done it yesterday had it not rained most of the day. I measured them and they are 12" long....I may borrow my friends spring compressors, I don't trust the ones I have I bought them at Harbor Freight and it was kind of scary using them the 1st time
Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

Steve-

NO spring compressor needed at ALL for rear springs...
Too much to type, so Please read this:

http://www.socalhhrs.com/leveling.html

As you click on each picture, it describes what you need to do, step by step with great detail.. Very easy..

sleeper
Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
Steve-

NO spring compressor needed at ALL for rear springs...
Too much to type, so Please read this:

http://www.socalhhrs.com/leveling.html

As you click on each picture, it describes what you need to do, step by step with great detail.. Very easy..

sleeper
Thanks again Sleeper! I did some lowering springs on my Kia Sportage SUV a few years ago and had to use the compressors, I figured it would be the same type of deal. That's even better, last time I used those chinese compressors from Harbor freight and you see metal bending and strange creaking noises, didn't give me a warm feeling.

Quick Reply: Reuse of bumpstops with Cobalt SS coils