Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Still have rattle in front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Deceased

Well you can either try to eliminate the noise piecemeal, and you might just isolate the components causing it, or do like several of us here have and say "screw it"...then just change out all the bits at once. Of course I waited until I changed the front struts so it was all apart anyway.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
Well you can either try to eliminate the noise piecemeal, and you might just isolate the components causing it, or do like several of us here have and say "screw it"...then just change out all the bits at once. Of course I waited until I changed the front struts so it was all apart anyway.
Me too, I did "everything in one fell swoop", if you do the work yourself the parts may only run about $1000-$2000.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Still have rattle in front end

I still has loud rattle in front end of my 06 HHr. I replacement sway bar bushings, links from sway to struts, struts and upper bearing plate. Also rear shocks. What could it be?? I'm beginning to think this a just apiece of s--t.
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Deceased

Intermediate shaft in the steering would be the next likely culprit, here's a thread on it.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/intermediate-steering-shaft-6633/

Its an issue with GM Delta Platform cars and trucklets, but don't feel too bad, it affects Toyota's and Honda's also....and they are supposed to be so much more superior than our lowly GM vehicles.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Depending on your definition of a rattle, you should also check all of those sheets of plastic from the wheel wells forward, including the chin spoiler for fasteners. You don't mention new struts, probably about time for them to wear out (I would not expect more than 100,000) also the strut mounting.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:37 PM

I've had this dang rattle on L/R frt. since day one. Replaced stuff, but still no joy. Used a electronic ear, on everything I could reach, and noise seems to be comning from upper spring perch area. Also has a rattleing buzz on r/frt area, I need to check out. Just ordered new strut bearings L/R , and will be installing them next week, and while we're at it, we're gonna check everything we can get to ,from firewall forward, for possible noise. "Moon"
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM

steering rattle

Well I call mine a 'knocking'. I drive about 40 miles a month on a dirt road that has washboard. When I bought car, I figured the road might be tougher than the steering.

Today, I jacked up the front end, put it on stands. Wiggle right or left wheels, and you hear the knocking somewhere between the rack (this has a rack i assume) and the shaft going into the firewall. If you wiggle the steering wheel back and forth, you can feel it in the wheel (same as when on any bumps or bumpy roads) and hear it in same area. Very hard to pinpoint.

Tire wear is just fine. I did struts about 2 years ago as they were shot, but it's not from there. It's definitely somewhere in either the rack or the u joints in the steering shafts.

As long as it's safe, and tire wear is ok, I'll deal with it. That road is hard on any vehicle, much less a little econo car. If anyone has further thoughts/info I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by moonsign
I've had this dang rattle on L/R frt. since day one. Replaced stuff, but still no joy. Used a electronic ear, on everything I could reach, and noise seems to be comning from upper spring perch area. Also has a rattleing buzz on r/frt area, I need to check out. Just ordered new strut bearings L/R , and will be installing them next week, and while we're at it, we're gonna check everything we can get to ,from firewall forward, for possible noise. "Moon"
Sounds like my issues I'm at point tearing entire front end apart!!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Depending on your definition of a rattle, you should also check all of those sheets of plastic from the wheel wells forward, including the chin spoiler for fasteners. You don't mention new struts, probably about time for them to wear out (I would not expect more than 100,000) also the strut mounting.
I actually had a rattling/buzz starting at about 50 mph on front right. turned out to be the plastic inner fender was just loose enough at back of the tire, it started to vibrate above 50. that drove me nuts but was a simple fix once found. lots of plastic not attached very well up there!
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM

River.
You have pretty much defined "Intermediate Shaft" in your testing, if not the rack & pinion also.

Quick Reply: Still have rattle in front end