Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Strut Time

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:40 AM

Strut Time

Well fellas, getting things ready to replace the struts and of coarse the back shocks... Really leaning toward the KYB after all the things I have read about monroe and koni... They seem the best aftermarket to return to near stock ride...
I know to reuse the stock spring and seats... I dont own a spring compressor, and the idea of doing the spring myself with the rental from the parts house makes me a little nervous(ALOT of power in those springs)... Where would I take them to get the spring swapped?...
Is it really that hard/dangerous to do at home? I a very handy and good with cars..
Old 04-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Very good step by step instructions below. I have done it numerous time on many different cars and I have seen idiots not compress the springs and get a big surprise.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/spring-install-dial-up-enter-your-own-risk-986/
Old 04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

I would advise taking the strut assemblys off the car and carry them to a local shop for the replacement work. Call ahead first and locate a shop and get a quote. Shouldn't be too much of a labor charge. Save yourself some aggrevation too. Sometimes compressing springs for your first time is both a pain and could be dangerous.
Rear shocks. Piece of cake. You can do those yourself.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I would advise taking the strut assemblys off the car and carry them to a local shop for the replacement work. Call ahead first and locate a shop and get a quote. Shouldn't be too much of a labor charge. Save yourself some aggrevation too. Sometimes compressing springs for your first time is both a pain and could be dangerous.
Rear shocks. Piece of cake. You can do those yourself.
I agree. Unless you have an impact wrench, turning the compression tool bolts by hand is only going to aggravate you and make you wonder why you took on this project. The rest is very easy to do.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:14 AM

I have a great impact/compressor and more tools than you could shake a stick at. I have just never done struts before... just about everything else... Thanks for the info... I feel a little better about tackling it myself...
#1 thing is always safety...
Old 04-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Not to scare you, but here's a funny but almost tragic story.

About 30 years ago, a mechanic coworker of mine was compressing a spring on a front end for removal. During the removal the clamp slipped. The spring shot across the shop, through the plate glass window of the office/lounge, and hit the back wall. About 4 feet above the customer's head who was sitting in a chair!!! Scared the ------- out of everyone!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Not to scare you, but here's a funny but almost tragic story.

About 30 years ago, a mechanic coworker of mine was compressing a spring on a front end for removal. During the removal the clamp slipped. The spring shot across the shop, through the plate glass window of the office/lounge, and hit the back wall. About 4 feet above the customer's head who was sitting in a chair!!! Scared the ------- out of everyone!!!
I hope the repair and a new pair of shorts for the customer were provided "on the house".
Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM

I say go rent the spring compressor from your local part store and just do it yourself. If you have a gang of tools it should be no problem. Just put a compressor on opposite sides and back that nut off slowly...you should be able to see pretty quickly if the compressors are doing their job.

It can be intimidating your first time or two, especially when you hear people's horror stories about it...lol! But it's really pretty safe if you use the spring compressors. Just make sure the coil is seated into the retainer and use the safety lock pin if your compressors have them. Happy wrenching!