Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Suspension recommendations for 1LT, 1LS, and 2LT HHR's

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM

Suspension recommendations for 1LT, 1LS, and 2LT HHR's

Well, I have an HHR 1LT (stock ... everything) 2008 with the "comfort ride suspension" package. Basically, in comparison with everything else I've driven (except a lifted/diesel truck and a mack 7000-series) this thing feels/handles like a tank. Tires are all BFG's, and ones I used on my '95 mx6 I had when I raced autocross so it's not the tires at all. I was wondering if anyone knows of any upgrades that work, etc. since all the stuff I've found is stock parts, no aftermarket shocks/springs (all I really think this thing needs to get it to turn somewhat). Of course, if anything else has really worked well to get these things to handle/turn, well, lemme know!!!

I figured, since there's no such "generalized" suspension/performance thread, well, I'd start one so others with similar questions can come here to find the answer. Of course, if there's another thread that already answered this, a link would be appreciated!

- Jake R
Old 08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

I leveled my Panel with Cobalt rear springs, lower CG; then added a TTR rear sway bar.
Now I can push it thru thru twisties & it stays flat & planted.. No more like riding a stagecoach..

I'm sure you will get many other options also..
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Thanks!

Sounds like a plan ... I was considering selling this car b/c I am just so frustrated by the total lack of cornering (and TCS & SC & ABS is a PITA for me too...). Gotta find something to keep 'er planted.

- JR
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM

My 2LT "sport" suspension (FE3) is nice the way it is for handling.... lowering and sway bar would improve it I'm sure but with lighter tires and wheels (16" Euromax 612/Dunlop Direzza) this thing likes the twisty bits
Old 08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Peddlers, Eibach & Goldline make lowering springs too.

Use the Search function, there are loads of people's choices for their rides..

My 2LT rode & handled well too. But stock the rear end was up too high for me.

Just didn't care for the body roll in hard turns.. Now that is Gone !!!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 PM

I auto X'd and road raced for 20 years, My 1LT handles way better than I ever dreamed it would.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 PM
Rest In Peace

Like Greybeard999, my 2008 2LT Panel has the "sport" suspension and isn't too bad.(NO it's not a race car suspension) But for what the HHR IS, it's OK.

I did just buy a set of Goldline Rear Leveling Springs, used, from a member here so that may improve it some.

I bought them more for the Looks. I'm not hauling heavy loads in the back, so I don't think I needed the extra height, and I just wanted the Level look over Lowering all 4 corners.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 PM

The rear swaybar will give the most improvement in cornering, I would try that first.
If you still want more, go for a set of stiffer lowering springs like sportlines or pedders. You could also go for better shocks and stiffer front swaybar from the SS.
If you are serious about going to the track though, nothin beats a set of coilovers instead of the springs/shocks.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
My 2LT "sport" suspension (FE3) is nice the way it is for handling.... lowering and sway bar would improve it I'm sure but with lighter tires and wheels (16" Euromax 612/Dunlop Direzza) this thing likes the twisty bits
Got the "sport" suspension as well........

The only correction to Gb's comment is that springs and sway bar DO improve the handling.
Riding on GLs and Progress Tech sway bar for 3+ years now.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by prod
The rear swaybar will give the most improvement in cornering, I would try that first.
If you still want more, go for a set of stiffer lowering springs like sportlines or pedders. You could also go for better shocks and stiffer front swaybar from the SS.
If you are serious about going to the track though, nothin beats a set of coilovers instead of the springs/shocks.
Not going for a track car, already have several (MX6, T/A Firehawk, etc.) but I just like to be able to carve some corners in the DD on a Sat or Sunday morning. Gonna try that rear swaybar and the "sport" FE3 package shocks since imo it's almost due for that, see where that puts me.

Quick Reply: Suspension recommendations for 1LT, 1LS, and 2LT HHR's