Brakes | Suspension | Shocks | Struts Brakes,Springs, Shocks,Front End Components & Steering

Upgrading Sad Brakes and Suspension on '07 LT

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 PM

Upgrading Sad Brakes and Suspension on '07 LT

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to the forum, just joined today as I was finding great info here while trying to figure out how to get my car into better driving condition.

I've had the braking 'shudder' for a few weeks now, and want to upgrade my brake system. Right now I'm following the parts guide and instructions here:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/brak...ard-hhr-42938/

Also, my car creaks and moans on turns, so I want to upgrade the suspension while I"m at it. Right now I'm looking at these specific parts:

•*KYB Excel-G Shocks/Struts (2-Front & 2-Rear)
•*H&R 50740 Sport Lowering Springs
•*Progress Rear Sway Bar

Are there any other parts I need to add to this list to do a complete brake and suspension overhaul? And does anyone have part numbers for all the bushings/mounts/bearings that I'll need to go along with these bigger-ticket items?

Thanks in advance, lots of great info here and I'm looking forward to becoming active in the community :)

Clint
Old 06-11-2016, 07:46 PM
Technical Moderator

Those things are nice, but...

Lower control arm assemblies
sway bar bushings & end links
rear brakes (and keep them adjusted)
strut assemblies (including bearings)
Old 06-11-2016, 08:21 PM

Great, thank you!

So i've added the following to my shopping list:

•*Moog Sway Bar Link Kit Premium Line (K750012)
•*Moog RK Front Lower Control Arms (Pair)

I believe this item has the entire strut assembly:
Set of 4 KYB Excel G Shocks Struts 2 Front 2 Rear Cobalt HHR | eBay

Anything else I should be looking for? What about brake lines?

Finally, I can't find any info on rear brake upgrades for an HHR, does anyone know the part numbers for HHR SS rear brake assemblies?
Old 06-11-2016, 08:26 PM
Technical Moderator

If you are thinking of SS rear brakes you will need a new axle beam from an SS or a Cobalt with disc rears, unless you are a fabricator type.

Keep playing with the search box, there is plenty of info on the conversions and work you are looking at.

BTW, the LCAs should be cast not welded steel. And SS ball joints will not fit non-SS steering knuckle.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by clintsal
I've had the braking 'shudder' for a few weeks now, and want to upgrade my brake system. Right now I'm following the parts guide and instructions here:

Also, my car creaks and moans on turns, so I want to upgrade the suspension while I"m at it.

Are there any other parts I need to add to this list to do a complete brake and suspension overhaul? And does anyone have part numbers for all the bushings/mounts/bearings that I'll need to go along with these bigger-ticket items?

Clint
The General builds cars to appeal to the masses, as does all the other manufactures...so I'm all in favor of upgrades to make a car more personal, but consider that these are light, under powered little cars. There isn't a whole lot of need for upgraded brakes or suspension. The stock brakes can certainly can handle any driving your going to do, unless your planning to race it, and what would the point of that be?
Once you get the brakes and suspension rebuilt to stock specs, I think you'll see it's all you need, and the $$$ you save can be put in upgrades to whatever trips your trigger...sound systems, upholstery, a nice set of custom wheels and so on.
I'm not against performance mods, I've certainly done plenty of them myself, but those mods have usually been sticking a large, modified V8 engine in something that wasn't designed to handle the power/performance that the new engine/transmission/rear axle is going to be putting out with doubling or tripling (or more) it's original horse power.
Just my unsolicited 2 peso's worth...
Old 06-12-2016, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, the KYB front struts and rear shocks are a great upgrade, have a look at Canuck Motorsports lowering springs

Home - Canuck Motorsports Online Store: Car Truck SUV lowering lift kits.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Sad Brakes and Suspension on '07 LT-image.jpeg