Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Manual Trans lubricants and lube changes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:33 AM

Manual Trans lubricants and lube changes

A few weeks ago, I made a different version of this post to the how-to section but now I figure there's not a lot of traffic there. So I revised it and posted it here. When I read some of the replies to the thread in the how-to section about changing lubricant in an HHR manual, I was struck by all the "experts" who offer opinions that manual transmissions never need a fluid change.

Here are the facts.

The Getrag F-23 five-speed manual, used in non-SS HHRs, is engineered to last at least until the end of the powertrain warranty. Most will last longer but its ultimate durability will vary by the severity of the transmission duty, the longevity of the lubricant and how clean the lube is.

Will a five-speed last the life of the vehicle?

Perhaps–but that's only likely if the "vehicle life" is 125,000 or so miles over 5-7 years, with normal driving in normal climates.

So why might the trans fluid not last that long?

1) There is no filter in a manual trans and some don't even have magnets to pick up the big chunks. Whatever wear metals come off the trans parts stay in the oil. As the level of wear metals builds, the lube becomes more abrasive.
2) Transmission lube is still oil. After five years, unless someone can prove me wrong with oil analysis, I'd think some of the additives in the lubricant, such as anticorrosives and antifoaming agents–are partially and maybe fully depleted.
3) If the trans sees severe duty, such as a lot of rapid/hard shifts, use with a clutch that's dragging, use in hot climates such as the desert southwest or very hard use such as racing or towing a trailer, the lubricant will have shortened service life.
4) So-called "reduced maintenance" is a key marketing element at GM and while it may sell a lot of cars, it doesn't play well for people who want the best maintenance schedule for an HHR they plan to keep for a long time.
5) Factory fill lubricants are the least expensive product GM can use and still meet durability targets.
6) Certain aftermarket lubricants, such as Driven STF or Red Line MTL will noticeably improve shift quality and durability of synchronizer assemblies and bearings.

I don't care what these "30-year mechanics" cited in the how-to section thread or anyone else might think–especially the fool who suggested that changing trans fluid in a manual might be "bad"–the truth is if you want your Getrag five-speed to perform well for a long time and you want the best durability, you need to change the trans lube every 30,000-50,000 miles or every 3-5 years.

What experience/testing do I have or done with the Getrag five-speed? I drove the MG282 (forerunner of the F-23) in my 1988 Beretta GT 140,000 hard miles with no transmission problems–not even a change in transmission noise. I used Red Line MTL, changed the fluid about every 40K miles and did periodic oil analysis. Never had the analysis data come back indicating any problems. Have driven the Getrag five-speed in our '07 to almost 106,000miles so far with the same results. Again, I do trans fluid changes on the truck every 30-40K miles. Until 105,896 I ran it on MTL. After that, as a test of a different lube, I switched to Driven STF. So far I've noticed no change in the transmissions shift feel–it's still excellent–or gear noise-there isn't much.

If you drive your HHR manual hard, pull a trailer or you have an HHR SS which you drive the way people should drive SSes, you ought to use a synthetic, low viscosity, manual trans lubricant such as Driven STF or Red Line MTL.

Lastly, there are going to be those who balk at the cost of a premium synthetic lubricant. When you're considering less expensive alternatives, do not use a GL5 rear axle lubricant. They for for the drive axles in rear drive vehicles and don't use an automatic transmission fluid in an F-23.