Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Shift Indicator Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 AM

I don't have one on my HHR but I do have one on my Colorado pickup. I tried to get it turned off but the Chevy dealer said no dice, can't turn it off. He said maybe I could pull the bulb but also said he could not do that but did not elaborate as to why. I just keep a 'post-it' over it with the things I have to do on the 'post-it'. Good luck.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:06 PM

In my honest observation, if a technician were to do this for you, it would be classified as modifying the vehicle or disabling a safety feature something along those lines.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
In my honest observation, if a technician were to do this for you, it would be classified as modifying the vehicle or disabling a safety feature something along those lines.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
If that's the case then why were the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO sold with the shift light disabled?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM

I underestand what your saying, but how can a Shift Up light be considered a Safety Feature..??

I'm takein it back to the Dealers tomorrow for another minor issue, so I'll see what he says & report back.....
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM

My question is, if this is some sort of "safety feature" then why is it it only a few seem to actuall have it? Again, this is the first person I've seen that actually stated theirs comes on.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Founding Member

I have never seen a shift light on an HHR while driving them. As stated below, not all HHRs have it. It's a fuel economy thing not a safety issue, so getting rid of it would not violate any laws, except maybe certain environmental groups who seem to like to make lots of laws that hinder the every day person.

From the 2010 owners manual:
If the vehicle has a manual transmission, there may be an up-shift light. This light will show you when to shift to the next higher gear for the best fuel economy.

When this light comes on, you can shift to the next higher gear if weather, road, and traffic conditions let you. For the best fuel economy, accelerate slowly and shift when the light comes on.

While accelerating, it is normal for the light to go on and off if you quickly change the position of the accelerator. Ignore the light when downshifting.

You would have to remove the cluster and figure out how the bulb is attached (probably solder). I do not know of any programming that would stop the light from coming on.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Administrator

I like the post it and electrical tape idea , less chance of messing up the BCM so if it may have a light then it may be a safety issue, but then again maybe not, where oh where is the logic in that , if it is a safety issue then the HHR should have the light, not may have one, illogical that some may or may not have this safety light.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Red face

ChevyMgr., "While accelerating, it is normal for the light to go on and off if you quickly change the position of the accelerator."

This is exactly what is so bothersome. I've been driving standards now for 50 years and did real well with out the light so far. When you find yourself in traffic it's always flashing.

It's not a deal breaker, but the fact it's located at the top right of the speedo makes it tough to ignore......and there's no chance of me puttin tape or post-it note on any of my dashes....

Gotta admitt though....this is just my luck....1 in 10k have em and I'd be the guy to get it.....played the lottery now for 20 years and haven't won enough to buy a tank of gas....where's the justice in this....
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Where exactly is this light? Have you got a picture of it?

Sounds like a real pain in the arse. Must drive you crazy at night.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Lightbulb Update....

Well...went to the dealer this morning and they said it could not be turned off 'to their knowledge'. They also said if I were to fool with it, it could have an impact on my extended warranty, so looks like it's one of those things I'll have to learn to live with.

Here's a picture I found that shows it's location and you can see it unlit...now just imagine this yellow light flashin on & off while your drivin down the road day or night...

The one tech said something about 'Safety Feature', but when I asked him "Then why isn't it in ALL Standard HHR's, he moved on..

So I'm askin every HHR Standard owner to ask the Big Kahuna to please let that light burn out first on 'HHRed'.....of course that's the one light that will outlast me now......but it can't hurt to ask..

Name:  Dash.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  9.5 KB

Quick Reply: Shift Indicator Light