Drivetrain (Excluding Engine) Transmission, axles, clutches or other drive-line related discussion.

Would you like cheese with that WHINE????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM

Would you like cheese with that WHINE????

I have a very loud whining noise in my engine compartment and it's hard to pinpoint what is could be. I will tell you when is does it and what I did to try and figure it out, but failed to do so.

The Whining noise:

1. gets louder ONLY as you reach high speeds and gets lower sounding, winding down whining, when you decelerate.

2. the noise does not go away when the clutch is held in and you are coasting. I know know it's not the engine or any component on the engine as the rpms dropped, hence the pulleys and crank slow down, and the noise is still constant with speed.

3. at highway speeds (real loud at this point), I swerved left to right hard but lengthy swerves, to increase the load on the bearings. Thought it could be one of them. This did not increase the noise.

Could this still be wheel bearings or should I focus my attention somewhere else, say the half-shafts or the Transmission? I checked pretty good and did not see a "Dip-Stick" for the Tranny so I assume it's like a lot like other 4 Cyclinder Manual Tranny's that are sealed units. Any help? Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:01 PM

Sounds a lot like a wheel bearing(hub). I have had one go before on my 2.4l. much like you described
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 AM

Hub bearing. Simple to do. With air tools, maybe 30min, with hand tools, maybe and hour tops, that includes getting out the tools and putting them up.

Jack it up properly. 5 lug nuts, remove tire. 2 (or 3 cant remember excatally) caliper bolts, remove caliper and rotor, 1 hub nut and 3 hub bolts, remove hub and install in reverse order. It's really that easy.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by kwe45919
Hub bearing. Simple to do. With air tools, maybe 30min, with hand tools, maybe and hour tops, that includes getting out the tools and putting them up.

Jack it up properly. 5 lug nuts, remove tire. 2 (or 3 cant remember excatally) caliper bolts, remove caliper and rotor, 1 hub nut and 3 hub bolts, remove hub and install in reverse order. It's really that easy.
I'm a mechanic, but haven't turned wrenches since I was blown up in AFGHANISTAN. I know how to change them but you left out the part that you need a press or metal blocks with a large socket and BFH (Big F******* Hammer). It's a lot longer job than what you said. The wheel bearing assembly is pressed in the knuckle. You have to be careful NOT to destroy the speed sensor as well. If you don't do it right, and even a trained mechanic can screw it up, you will be pressing out the new bearing and replaceing that one too. It will ruin it if it does not go in straight the first time.

My post was intended for diagnoses but I do appreciate you effort in helping out.