Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Fuel economy has diminished.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
hhr's don't have a fuel filter. the only fuel filter it uses is sock type filter on the end of the fuel pump in the tank. The air filter is a good idea though.
Originally Posted by slow8
What? Whose idea was that?
Some "bean counter" at GM I would imagine.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Deceased

Mileage can be affected by so many variables, but I have noticed that when I switch from BP to some other brand of "rocket fuel"...I see an 8-12% decrease in mileage. I used to see this back when I lived in a Sunoco heavy area and then switched to Exxon or something else...the mileage dropped a few percent. Maybe our vehicles just like a certain brand, like us "carbon based bio-modules" preferring Miller over Bud. Umm, just a thought, probably means I think too much.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 843de
when I switch from BP to some other brand of "rocket fuel"...I see an 8-12% decrease in mileage.
BP must be on to something.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Some "bean counter" at GM I would imagine.

Actually Greybeard....that change was on a employee, who was a technician, suggestion. The employee was awarded $20k for the suggestion, which was the max allowable.

The thought process, for what it is worth........

external fuel filters are no longer needed because of the design and build material of the tanks and related apparatus. It is one less part with connectors that would need to be installed (and ultimately changing). Fuels are manufactured and filtered so well at the refineries and at the tank farms that it also reduces the likelihood (the culprit here is obviously the stations.....which GM says is the responsibility of the petroleum companies to monitor).

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's it. I knew the awardee.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Actually Greybeard....that change was on a employee, who was a technician, suggestion. The employee was awarded $20k for the suggestion, which was the max allowable.

The thought process, for what it is worth........

I'm not saying I agree with it, but that's it. I knew the awardee.
Perhaps we now know the awardee also huh Snoopy ?
Old 10-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Nope, not me.

I did get a couple of good sized awards for other suggestions, however. For example......

Remember when the PVC line went to the air cleaner and had a little nylon mesh type filter that was attached to the air cleaner by a metal "u" shaped clip.

Well, when you purchased a new AC replacement filter, the box also contained a new spring clip. I suggested, supplying the filter without the clip since the clip doesn't wear out. That saved GM some money, I forget what the amount was, BUT.....

I received the maximum award.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Snoopy-
I figured you had some great input somewhere in the mix.

Yes I do remember the PCV metal "U" clip inside the air cleaner...

Good call, & Good for you $$..
Old 11-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Banned

Did the place where you buy gas switch to 10 or 15% ethanol? You will lose the same amount in mileage as the % of ethanol...My motorcycles, tractor and mower....hate the stuff!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:13 AM

hey have you ever noticed the fuel trucks or tankers all fill up at the same fueling station or plant to deliver your fuel in a certain part of your state lol.i myself think its b s its pretty much the same stuff maybe thiers a differnce in octane but i wouldnt doubt were getting snorked on that deal to more money more money my 2 cents
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Fuel filters take the crud out of the gas tank prior to getting into the injectors or carburators. I can only imagine what the sock looks like in my 87 Fiero as the tank has never been dropped. There is a fuel filter in the gas line after the tank. That filter gets change periodically.

Quick Reply: Fuel economy has diminished.