Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Hydrogen

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM

actually both of you need to review the following article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_i..._%28engines%29

the artical covers both aircraft piston and turbine and automobile water injection system that have been installed in cars by various mfgs

my personal experience,,, about 1800 flight hours and 13 years of servicing P3 A/Bs... the alpha models almost always used WA for take offs... either because of outside temp or because we were carrying alpha loads. WA gave us several hundred addition HP per engine with the same fuel flow settings... the bravos came with new T56 engines that eliminated the need for WA...

turbo prop engines are always more efficient on humid or on rainy days... efficiency was really hurt on hot dry days... (partially the PROPS and air density)

the same rules of air density most likely apply to piston engines

science fact... read the article.

info only... we water washed running engines to clean the crude off the turbine blades... if that didn t work we walnut shelled them... saved allot of engine changes by cleaning out the carbon and salt deposit up on the turbine blades... we water washed (drive through wash racks) the whole plane to clean off the salt deposits from flying 100 to 200 feet off the water...

not talking about perpetual motion here...

cooling is only part of the story...
Old 07-09-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by REDFLYR
actually both of you need to review the following article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_i..._%28engines%29

the artical covers both aircraft piston and turbine and automobile water injection system that have been installed in cars by various mfgs

my personal experience,,, about 1800 flight hours and 13 years of servicing P3 A/Bs... the alpha models almost always used WA for take offs... either because of outside temp or because we were carrying alpha loads. WA gave us several hundred addition HP per engine with the same fuel flow settings... the bravos came with new T56 engines that eliminated the need for WA...

turbo prop engines are always more efficient on humid or on rainy days... efficiency was really hurt on hot dry days... (partially the PROPS and air density)

the same rules of air density most likely apply to piston engines

science fact... read the article.

info only... we water washed running engines to clean the crude off the turbine blades... if that didn t work we walnut shelled them... saved allot of engine changes by cleaning out the carbon and salt deposit up on the turbine blades... we water washed (drive through wash racks) the whole plane to clean off the salt deposits from flying 100 to 200 feet off the water...

not talking about perpetual motion here...

cooling is only part of the story...
Why would you post a website that does not support your position (and also one that I have already read).Why would you use wiki to teach an ENGINEER about water injection???? The problem here is understanding of the facts...not more infomation. Clearly you do not take into account the DETAILS in the article. The article is telling you that this is a futile effort. I do not understate your understanding of aircraft engines, nor your experience. But understand the difference between mechanics and service people and engineers. No disrespect, we both have different experinces and skill sets.

Re read the last (although lacking in scientific detail) paragraph about CARS. Note the word INTERCOOLER! OPPS I have one of those? Guess what GM didn't add that would be MUCH CHEAPER........Give up......water injection.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:30 AM

^^^
yea ... mechs have to work on the things the engineers screwed it up in the first place... the P3 was the Lockheed Electra... made the dogs howl...
P3C had several hundred modifications recommended by aircrew and mechs of all trades.
guess i miss read the article... missed the part where it said water injection DECREASES HP and that it has NEVER had automotive applications.

guess i beter get my money back on my degree... they never taught me to read.

didn t see any where here that you were an engineer... i guess we need to start posting our resumes...

wish i had the international awards (automotive applications of hydroden) that brown has. first one while he was still in high school in the 50s. i know he s a quak.

read the winki artical about iceland...

Last edited by REDFLYR; 07-10-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:55 AM

Dixie Raye... a past WA Governor (
WSU prof) was being interview about WAs nuclear energy program (affectionately referred to as WHOOPS). her house was cluttered with hundreds of books on nuclear energy and physics... the reporter noted that he didn t know that she was a physisist... her reply was "i m not yet"

china is graduating 100 engineers to the USA 1... what does that mean... are they going to do things a 100 times better... 100 times faster...

Ron T. a friend that takes me to breakfast a few times a month... ret Boeing engineer says the Chinese aircraft engineers are sub par... because of his personal experiences with them... and is surprised that they have a nuc sub program... and had never heard of the soviet Tu blackjack... but ask him about fluid mechs or properties of metal... or how to clean a tube that has a whole that is only a few hundredths in diameter (nozzles on micro jets)... quite impressive... speaks fluent russian... does decent work on cars... more energy at 80 than be at 60. but no common sense... always jabbing him about how he goes about things.

so site me documents (pro and con) along with opinions and i pay more attention

AC or DC... 110 or 220... not everyone agrees but it all works one way or another.

and which country will be completely independent of petroleum in the next few decades

i ll print out the winki article on the Chrysler and Saab water injection systems and see what he has to say...
Old 07-10-2008, 08:25 AM

agentsmith23, you got the facts, use them. More energy going in the getting out. Where does the energy going in come from? The cars engine, of course. So there is a net loss of energy. Less efficient overall. Simple. You cannot get something for nothing.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM

was surfing and found this http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...detail&id=3495
Old 09-10-2008, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
Yikes, don't revive this thread...lol
Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Always trust Centauri!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:22 PM

sorry man...didja click on the info link while you were there?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
About that article.

Article Quote:
Do you have a new car? Don't worry this will not ruin your warranty, the installation is completely reversible.In fact your dealer won't even know you have it installed it's so discreet.

Only if the tech that opens the hood is a complete moron.

I would quote more, and give my dispute but it's just not worth the time. Maybe some think this works but I am highly sceptical about it.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen