Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Interesting article in Dallas Morning News

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
I watched a guy ride 6" behind someone for 2 miles honking his horn, speeding up and hard braking right on his butt just because the dude was going the speed limit or maybe 2-3 under. It was utterly ridiculous how mad this guy seemed to be for no reason. It's scary sometimes.
And to this type of extreme. I think it's funny. There's a saleen mustang on my commute always in a hurry speeding up and jumping ahead if he sees an opening in traffic. He was ahead of us by a mile and I still caught up to him at every light. I guess he didn't realize it was a lost cause racing from stoplight to stop light
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM

Another instance of pure stupidity

Every morning on the way to work there is an older man (my guess is 55) he has a white Chevy Colorado and he is in the right lane going 20 MPH or LESS. The speed limit there is 45 and most everyone is going 55 to 60.
Even though he is in the right lane he is going so slow he is a hazard to himself and everyone around him.
We all just honk at his stupid ass when we get around him. He never looks up or anything just keeps put putting along.
It is frustrating because if there is a lot of traffic he can have traffic backed up for miles just because of one idiot. There are redlights on the road so if you are in back you catch every light red and still get help up by him at the next light. Being a two lane road it is difficult to get around him.
Most drivers are considerate and good drivers. Many of us drive over the speed limit myself included but I always watch out and respect other drivers.

If you are driving 10 MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane or holding up others then you need to get off the road.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by wxman
I watched a guy ride 6" behind someone for 2 miles honking his horn, speeding up and hard braking right on his butt just because the dude was going the speed limit or maybe 2-3 under. It was utterly ridiculous how mad this guy seemed to be for no reason. It's scary sometimes.
These are the same people that think that driving 55-60 when the posted limit is 65-70 is suicide. If we all think that driving 5 under or just at the speed limit is suicide, it wont be long before we all drive 100mph. Its a self fulfilling prophecy. If I drive 57 in a 65 zone. You all will just have to go around, sorry its the LAW.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
The people who think it is their right or duty to hold up others pisses me off. They can drive fast or slow it does not matter to me but fast is the left lane slow is the right lane. I do not care if I am going 85 miles per hour if someone comes up behind me I move over and let them by as quickly as possible. They may be taking pregnant wife to hospital or what ever, none of my business nor is it my job to hold anyone up. I drive to get where I am going, I do not have a problem if they are going slow in the right lane but if they are going under the speed limit in the fast lane that is stupid. Even in the far right lane 55 MPH is too slow to be safe around here most of the time. You need to go with the flow of the traffic and never hold up anyone.

One other thing I know is that many of the accidents in traffic is caused by people trying to get around slow traffic in the fast lane. The sad thing is they are usually not involved in the accident it is the person behind them that has to pull out into faster traffic in the right lane. Not to mention all of the road rage they cause.

There was a lady the other day going 42 MPH in the fast lane during rush hour the other day. People were having all kinds of trouble getting around her and they were honking their horns and swerving to get around her. When I was finally able to get by her I just tapped my horn and she flipped me off! The speed limit was 60 and most were going 65 to 70 but she has to go 42 in the fast lane.
Most places it is illegal to go that much under the posted limit. She was obviously too old or to elderly to be driving. This has nothing to do with hypermiling. If you feel unsafe with drivers going 55 in the far right lane, you need to slow down and gain control of your vehicle. 55 is the legal limit for many trailers and space saver spares. Sorry charlie, it's not my fault if you cant get around someone going 55 in a 70 two lanes over (right) from the highspeed lane, if you hit them YOU will be cited. On most single lane roads you should be clear to pass crossing over the center dashed line. Thats how you deal with slower traffic, not honking, cussing, and bumper riding.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
I just put a cowcatcher off a freight train on my HHR and now I plan to crush anyone doing this around me. Here it will be mostly elderly or lost tourists, so be it...everyday some stupid azz has to be the protector of the roads and drive under the posted limit, man I need a 50 cal mounted or something, I swear there is not too much that gets at me but this does. GET OUTTA MY WAY!
Get an SS and just drive around. Save the ammo LOL
Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
Every morning on the way to work there is an older man (my guess is 55) he has a white Chevy Colorado and he is in the right lane going 20 MPH or LESS. The speed limit there is 45 and most everyone is going 55 to 60.
Even though he is in the right lane he is going so slow he is a hazard to himself and everyone around him.
We all just honk at his stupid ass when we get around him. He never looks up or anything just keeps put putting along.
It is frustrating because if there is a lot of traffic he can have traffic backed up for miles just because of one idiot. There are redlights on the road so if you are in back you catch every light red and still get help up by him at the next light. Being a two lane road it is difficult to get around him.
Most drivers are considerate and good drivers. Many of us drive over the speed limit myself included but I always watch out and respect other drivers.

If you are driving 10 MPH under the speed limit in the fast lane or holding up others then you need to get off the road.
I'd agree 100%, but this has nothing to do with hypermilers again, just dumbazz wanna-be drivers.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Clevelandhhrss
Get an SS and just drive around. Save the ammo LOL
you can't cure stupid with an ss...
Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 AM

I have no problem with people going 55

I have no problem with people going 55 in the right lane. I do have a problem when they are going less than the posted speed limit or flow of traffic in the fast lane.
To me that is just stupid.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM

The posted speed limit is just that - a maximum allowable speed. I know most (if not all) Interstates also have a MINIMUM posted speed (or at least used to) of 40 MPH. I also usually drive faster than the posted limit by 5-10 MPH but I don't get upset when I come across someone going slower than me. I just wait my turn then go around when I think its safe. Yeah, its frustrating sometimes, but they are allowed to be there too.

BTW, I got caught doing 5 over on the PATPK a number of years ago and got away with a written warning (they were running a speed trap just over the crest of a hill). The rest of the trip I never exceeded the speed limit and almost got clobbered by every car that came up in the right lane. Nerve wracking? ... Hell yeah. Just my .02 worth.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by saltyfishguy
you can't cure stupid with an ss...
I can, that's what the boost is for... Right??

Quick Reply: Interesting article in Dallas Morning News