Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Premium fuel v. Regular Unleaded

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM

Just as I said... probably due to the additives. BP is going to give you more of the additives.

Remember, the additives not only have detergants, cleaners, enviromental junk, but also milages enhancers. All of which, especially the last, probably helped you ahieve that better milage.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
It's not all hype.
Thank you!

Yeah, I also knew that all gas companies get it from the same place. Every day I go down Dort Hwy to school just north of Flint there is a place owned by Mobil (or Marathon, can't remember...It's an M brand..). They store all of the gas in big tanks, and the trucks fill up there. Every day you see different trucks pulling in or out, Mobil, Marathon, Speedway...you get the idea.

Like I quoted on Shell's website, they put more additives in their V Power Premium. That's why I buy it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Actually on the east side of Dort Hwy is Buckeye (use to be Mobil) and the west side (at the corner of Dort & Carpenter) is Marathon.

Marathon owns Speedway. Speedway is marathon's generic gas. The Speedway headquarters is in Romulus on Inkster Rd.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gas Man
Actually on the east side of Dort Hwy is Buckeye (use to be Mobil) and the west side (at the corner of Dort & Carpenter) is Marathon.

Marathon owns Speedway. Speedway is marathon's generic gas. The Speedway headquarters is in Romulus on Inkster Rd.
See I knew it had an "M" in the name... Guess it was both!

Yeah, I go by there almost every day.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM

I use to work in that area.... and every where in between there, Owosso, Bay City, and Clarkston.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

I've run Shell 93 for a month soild & didn't get as good of mileage as I was getting with the Chevron 100% real gas..

just sayin...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper
I've run Shell 93 for a month soild & didn't get as good of mileage as I was getting with the Chevron 100% real gas..

just sayin...
Well we don't have Chevron up here, so that's not an option!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:10 AM

But none of that can make up for craptastic gas stations. I tend to also judge a book by it's cover. If it's an old run down station, chances are they aren't keeping up with sumping the water out of their tanks, cleaning their tanks, etc. The largest culprit IMO to "bad gas".
Underground fuel tanks are monitored by the EPA. These guidelines are very strict and once they tell you to replace the tanks due to deterioration on the inside OR outside the station does it or stops selling gas. This is the reason there are no more mom and pop gas stations and no competition is the result.

The larger corporations lobbied for the strict regulations knowing it would kill the competition. The same thing goes on in various commodity markets.

I've known of "Top Tier" stations that pump bad gas and end up paying for repairs. That can happen anywhere.

I know of no independent analysis showing any improved performance or increased longevity of fuel system components as advertised by the "Top Tier" retailers. Until I see that, it's hype.

Same thing goes for ALL of the various additives marketed that are supposed to make oil slicker and promise better mileage by adding it to your tank of fuel...snake oil salesman goes high tech!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 AM

I'll just stick with my Sunoco 93 octane........ Works for me.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper

just sayin...
Well that may be true. The BTUs from E aren't as high was gas. That is the truth. But you won't get away from it. In michigan alone, I saw on a website for anti e-gas. There were 3 reported gas stations in the entire state. That is it!

Further the feds just approved use of E15 in cars 2007 and newer. Not motorcycles, mowers, snowmobiles, weed whips, just cars/trucks/suv 2007 and newer. Expect that to lower your MPG as well.

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Well we don't have Chevron up here, so that's not an option!
True but we don't need it.

Originally Posted by Tominator
Underground fuel tanks are monitored by the EPA. These guidelines are very strict and once they tell you to replace the tanks due to deterioration on the inside OR outside the station does it or stops selling gas. This is the reason there are no more mom and pop gas stations and no competition is the result.

The larger corporations lobbied for the strict regulations knowing it would kill the competition. The same thing goes on in various commodity markets.

I've known of "Top Tier" stations that pump bad gas and end up paying for repairs. That can happen anywhere.

I know of no independent analysis showing any improved performance or increased longevity of fuel system components as advertised by the "Top Tier" retailers. Until I see that, it's hype.

Same thing goes for ALL of the various additives marketed that are supposed to make oil slicker and promise better mileage by adding it to your tank of fuel...snake oil salesman goes high tech!
I understand it's all under regulation. So are my companies tanks, probably far more than the gas station. Just as the MQC on the product, I know cause I test it every day as part of my job. But I still doubt that all their tanks are regularly cleaned. All you have to do is talk to the truck driver dropping the load of gas/fuel. They'll tell ya. You'd be surprised at what they tell you about the gas stations. Owners purposely ordering too much regular (87) and then trying to talk the driver into "just dump it in the prem tank, I'll give you pizza". Knowing if the driver doesn't dump it, it screws up his next load and his BOL.

I, myself, only buy top tier whenever possible. I said that is because of the "more" additives. I also said that saying one additive is better than the next is opinion.

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
I'll just stick with my Sunoco 93 octane........ Works for me.
At the end of the day, this is what matters. Find something you like and stick with it. I tend to buy 90% of all my gas from one station. Unless out of town obviously.

Quick Reply: Premium fuel v. Regular Unleaded