Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Tune for better mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Tune for better mpg?

Does anyone have a tune program for the 2.4 that is supposed to improve mpg instead of power?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Let's see, well lighter right foot comes to mind..

Seriously, maybe others know of one, I've never heard of any.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 AM

With HPTuners, I've been able to achieve 2 - 4 MPG gains on many platforms, including HHRs.

But most tuners don't really look for that and I'm not about to give my secrets away.

Also, there is a huge misconception that it is an "either / or" choice between MPG and power. You CAN have both, since the engine is operating in different areas of the calibration tables while cruising and full throttle.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JoeR
With HPTuners, I've been able to achieve 2 - 4 MPG gains on many platforms, including HHRs.

But most tuners don't really look for that and I'm not about to give my secrets away.

Also, there is a huge misconception that it is an "either / or" choice between MPG and power. You CAN have both, since the engine is operating in different areas of the calibration tables while cruising and full throttle.
Are you a sponsor ,do you sell tunes, or just tinker with your own toys at home?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joshua022
Are you a sponsor ,do you sell tunes, or just tinker with your own toys at home?
Sponsor? No.

Sell tunes? Yes. I've tuned hundreds of cars, hands on. I do not sell canned tunes. I have helped some tuners remotely, though.

Sure, I tinker with my own toys at home!

There are not many tuners familiar with this platform, unfortunately. One option for you would be to contact Vince at Trifecta Tuning and talk to him about your MPG concern. Not really sure if he's dealt much with that, though.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Since the computer controls all aspects of engine management, you could, in theory, tune the car to offset the heavy foot so that no matter how much you mashed the pedal, you'd only get so much throttle response. I'm not sure if this would be a good idea, but it makes sense that people would be more interested as the price of gas rises. JoeR is right about being able to make more power and still have good or better MPG. I would tentatively propose that it might be possible to make a 'hybrid' tune with econo response through a certain percentage of throttle opening and greater response for higher throttle activities like highway passing. In the interest of disclosure, I am a complete amatuer at tuning, but I am an IT professional. When I get a handle on the tuning, I'd like to write a program that can take the output of a scan program and a the cars tuning tables and generate 'flavors' of tuning for an HHR. You could have configurations like 'Frugal', 'Slow', 'Stock', 'Thirsty', and 'Brutal' perhaps. Don't get too excited, though. I've got a lot of learning to do on tuning first. Maybe someone with more tuning experience will pick this up and run with it before I can.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Deceased

Its already possible, the new BMW and Mercedes models for example have an "Eco" setting where throttle response is reduced and transmission shift profiles are modified for more economy. But its an all or nothing button, to get some "oomph" back into the vehicle you have to cancel the "Eco" mode and go back to "Normal" or "Performance" modes which have their own engine control and shift profile maps.

Could that be done to the HHR, yes, would it be worth the time, effort, and engineering expenses....nope. To really save fuel, keep off the "loud pedal", anticipate traffic to avoid stops, no left turns, in situations where engine idling will be excessive..shut it off..that starter motor is tougher than you think..and restarting a warm engine uses less fuel than idling, maintain proper tire inflation pressure(don't over-inflate them), and drive smoothly.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

X2, but add no drive through windows!