General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

'08 hhr lemon

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Angry '08 hhr lemon

My ,08 HHR Panel is the biggest piece of junk I,ve ever owned and I,ve owned 17 different vehicles. I paid $29,600 because I ordered it from the factory and at 50,000 Miles it is now worth $9000 or $10000 and the dealership dosent even want it as a trade-in on a $40,000.00 truck. A loss of $20,000.00 in 2 and a half years. Brakes are junk with all kinds of problems. Steering components replaced twice and steering wheel magical gone off center by an inch and a half which took 3 visits to fix almost right. Many supension parts front and rear worn out and replaced. Broken wire to rear hatch required removing almost entire interior to find it under console. Headliner glue let go and reglued by dealership. Foam stuck between rear metal and interior panels to get rid of mystery banging noise ( didn,t work ). Factory Firestones tires worn out at 20,000 kilos and were dangerous at highway speeds on wet roads. ( Ford stopped using them after thousands of compaints ). Now HVAC system is blowing full heat even when setting on fresh air with everthing turned off ( dealership admitted they do not have diagnostic tool for HHR,s " different type of HVAC system"). They are now just randomly replacing parts which hasnt fixed anything yet, this has been going on for 5 weeks. GM Mechanics have scratched and dented exterior and got oil and grease on headliner. I have spent an unbeleivable amount of time, not to mention gas and inconvenience over this. The service departments are disgustingly poor and act like this is just normal ownership experience. Hate myself for buying a GM when I should have known better. "BRUTAL"
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM

Welcome to the forum, But I think you may be a Troll!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Sounds to me like you should cut your losses and never buy GM again. Gee, I wonder if that's why there is MORE THAN ONE car manufacturer in the world? This gives us a CHOICE - that way we can each find what works best for us. I did this in getting rid of the POS Toyota Prius I had to get the HHR (and have been quite happy with the move).
Old 08-24-2010, 10:18 AM

I'm glad that Canadian is not my neighbor. That's what happens to a person when they only have 2 days of summer and then is back to shoveling snow.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
I'm glad that Canadian is not my neighbor. That's what happens to a person when they only have 2 days of summer and then is back to shoveling snow.
Correction: Summer lasted 3 days this year.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM

In before the
Old 08-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Unfortunately, if all this is true, it sounds more like the problem is the dealership. Yes, there are a few issues with the vehicle itself, but if the dealership was actually fixing them the first time, your list of complaints would be much, much shorter. I find it hard to believe that a dealership is providing the feedback quoted in your post. They don't have the right test equipment? I call bull****. The HHR has a "different" HVAC system? Again, I call bull****.

Over the years, if I've ever had a dealership that could not fix a problem on the first visit (except, of course if parts had to be ordered or there were extenuating circumstances), I would immediately take it to a different dealer. Even if I had to drive an extended distance. I would always fully disclose my problem, the dealer's response and the final outcome.

On the rare occasion where I was still unable to get the problem fixed, I simply, politely and quietly moved my complaints to the next level by speaking directly to the Service Manager, then the dealership's General Manager, and ultimately the regional manager for the territory.

While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it's usually only to shut it up. Calm, polite, reasonable communication will, in the long run, net you a much better result.

Only two other points to make: factory tires are never the be-all end-all and are best replaced as soon as you can afford to; and a dramatic drop in the value of your new vehicle as soon as you drive it over the curb is to be expected and is the bane of any new vehicle buyer. Our only hope is to keep the vehicle long enough to see it paid off, keep it in like-new or better condition, and then turn a profit with it when sold private party to someone who can appreciate the vehicle.

Good luck with your next vehicle. I hope you find something that fits your needs and provides you with many miles of trouble-free driving.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Unfortunately, if all this is true, it sounds more like the problem is the dealership. Yes, there are a few issues with the vehicle itself, but if the dealership was actually fixing them the first time, your list of complaints would be much, much shorter. I find it hard to believe that a dealership is providing the feedback quoted in your post. They don't have the right test equipment? I call bull****. The HHR has a "different" HVAC system? Again, I call bull****.

Over the years, if I've ever had a dealership that could not fix a problem on the first visit (except, of course if parts had to be ordered or there were extenuating circumstances), I would immediately take it to a different dealer. Even if I had to drive an extended distance. I would always fully disclose my problem, the dealer's response and the final outcome.

On the rare occasion where I was still unable to get the problem fixed, I simply, politely and quietly moved my complaints to the next level by speaking directly to the Service Manager, then the dealership's General Manager, and ultimately the regional manager for the territory.

While the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it's usually only to shut it up. Calm, polite, reasonable communication will, in the long run, net you a much better result.

Only two other points to make: factory tires are never the be-all end-all and are best replaced as soon as you can afford to; and a dramatic drop in the value of your new vehicle as soon as you drive it over the curb is to be expected and is the bane of any new vehicle buyer. Our only hope is to keep the vehicle long enough to see it paid off, keep it in like-new or better condition, and then turn a profit with it when sold private party to someone who can appreciate the vehicle.

Good luck with your next vehicle. I hope you find something that fits your needs and provides you with many miles of trouble-free driving.
To lose over 60% value in 2 years is HORRIBLE! This has the lowest resale value of any car I've ever owned.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by piper
My ,08 HHR Panel is the biggest piece of junk I,ve ever owned and I,ve owned 17 different vehicles. I paid $29,600 because I ordered it from the factory and at 50,000 Miles it is now worth $9000 or $10000 and the dealership dosent even want it as a trade-in on a $40,000.00 truck. A loss of $20,000.00 in 2 and a half years. Brakes are junk with all kinds of problems. Steering components replaced twice and steering wheel magical gone off center by an inch and a half which took 3 visits to fix almost right. Many supension parts front and rear worn out and replaced. Broken wire to rear hatch required removing almost entire interior to find it under console. Headliner glue let go and reglued by dealership. Foam stuck between rear metal and interior panels to get rid of mystery banging noise ( didn,t work ). Factory Firestones tires worn out at 20,000 kilos and were dangerous at highway speeds on wet roads. ( Ford stopped using them after thousands of compaints ). Now HVAC system is blowing full heat even when setting on fresh air with everthing turned off ( dealership admitted they do not have diagnostic tool for HHR,s " different type of HVAC system"). They are now just randomly replacing parts which hasnt fixed anything yet, this has been going on for 5 weeks. GM Mechanics have scratched and dented exterior and got oil and grease on headliner. I have spent an unbeleivable amount of time, not to mention gas and inconvenience over this. The service departments are disgustingly poor and act like this is just normal ownership experience. Hate myself for buying a GM when I should have known better. "BRUTAL"
Where exactly are you at in Manitoba? If your title is clear, and the car is in good cosmetic shape, I'd give you $12K for it.

On to your topic....as mentioned by others.......yes you have probelms. But your grievance and rant, if all you say is true, should be directed at the dealer, WHO IS NOT GM.

Have you tried utilizing the Customer Service phoneline in the rear of your Owners Manual?
Old 08-24-2010, 02:56 PM

Depreciation once the car rolls off the lot is a fact of life with any new vehicle. The degree to which it happens varies, true. Some are worse than others. A bit of research demonstrated to me that the dealer price on a new HHR was already high compared to competitive and comparable vehicles. Yes, we paid more for our HHRs than they were worth. Can I do anything about that now? Nope. I bought my HHR and have loved driving this car since that very first test drive. Am I sorry I bought it? Absolutely not. When I pay off my financing will I feel like I've gotten my monies worth? I certainly hope so. Ask me again in 18 months.

Quick Reply: '08 hhr lemon