General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

'08 hhr lemon

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

Doesn't hold value

HHRs don't seem to hold their value well. That's why I bought mine used. I had no clue what an HHR was when I searched for ANY car under $10k with heated seats.

Repair situations seem to vary widely, but I agree that the dealer service department in general, and service manager in particular, is crucial.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I think the key to "value" in our HHRs will be the end of the manufacturing of the model (to happen soon); the overall appearance and quality of the individual HHR when it comes time to sell; and the overall uniqueness of the vehicle (color, options, mods and so on). I would bet that HHR owners will get more for their HHRs when selling them private party than when using the as trade-ins.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
I think the key to "value" in our HHRs will be the end of the manufacturing of the model (to happen soon); the overall appearance and quality of the individual HHR when it comes time to sell; and the overall uniqueness of the vehicle (color, options, mods and so on). I would bet that HHR owners will get more for their HHRs when selling them private party than when using the as trade-ins.

No bet there !!

Dealers financially work at about a 30% markup over actual trade-in value.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM

To clarify, I think the only way we'll get any kind of "reasonable" money for our HHRs when we sell them is to sell them private party to someone who can appreciate the uniqueness of the vehicle and the care we've taken with them. Snoopy, you're right ... you'll never get a decent trade-in value from a dealer. Never. They may make it look like you are, but they'll get their money back somewhere else in the deal to offset what they say they are giving you for your trade.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Mine won't be worth squat when I'm done with it. I'm planning on putting at least 200k on it. I bought used, so if I get a couple of grand on a private party sell 5 years from now, I'll have more than than gotten my money's worth. Then again, that's how things have worked with all my cars but one.

As far as the OP goes, I'd say less troll and more disgruntled owner, who in fact should have more of an issue with an incompetent dealer than with GM. However, at the first hint of something like "dealership admitted they do not have diagnostic tool for HHR,s " different type of HVAC system", I personally would have been on the phone to GM. So it would appear that some of the burden lies with the OP who took it at face value that the dealer was telling the truth. More realistically, I think the account is heavily embellished.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
More realistically, I think the account is heavily embellished.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tim_tenn
Drive it use it up and enjoy it as you will not see a incease in value after they are done.

In the distant future 25 years or more the SS and panel may have a little interest but there are just too many HHRS on the market vs demand for used ones.

Lets face it most people bought these new as they could get them for little more than a used one in the first three years. Now demand is down and there are a lot of used HHR's now on the maket. Many more than there is demand for.

They also said the Fiero was going to be worth $100,000 in the year 2000? That one really was off too.

With this economy there will be lower value on many cars. I see sales dropping next year on new and used cars.

I just love these guys who come here to rant on a first post. I don't think he is a troll. I think he is a guy that did not know enough to go to another dealer. A troll would not have make a rant that made himself look that bad.

Buddy do yourself a favore and go to another dealer.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by piper
My ,08 HHR Panel is the biggest piece of junk . I paid $29,600 because I ordered it from the factory. Hate myself for buying a GM when I should have known better. "BRUTAL"
I would too if I paid that much
Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Smile

No problems with my panel , I bought it because I like it, never plan to sell so resale value doesn't matter
Old 08-25-2010, 04:48 PM

New cars are a terrible investment, period, end of story. These are entry level hatchbacks, stylish, if you like retro for sure. In Sept. of 04 we bought a new 04 PT for $13,800 OTD. The list price on that car was $18,700 The book says a 6 year old US nameplate small car is worth 12-15% in trade. We got $3000, which is 16%. Full size Cars, Lux Brands & Trucks retain there value better. Today that means German cars, Caddy's, Buick's, Lincoln's & the High Buck Japanese Makes. Plus Pick-up made by US companies, no toy trucks from Japan need apply.
We bought a new 09 HHR in May of 2010 for $16,700 OTD Cash price, prior to the trade of $3000. The Sticker was $23,200.
It is my expectation I will be able to get between $3000 & $3700 in trade in 6 years.
You can always net more in a private sale. But you lose the sales tax savings, because sales tax is based on the net price. New car price less the trade.
On this last deal, I figured $2500 was the break even point. If I was offered less than that, I would sell the car myself, more I trade the car.
My father owned a DeSota Plymouth dealership when I was small. He schooled me on car buying. Never let the dealer see your car, or know what you might trade prior to settling the price of the car you are buying. I do most of my buying via the internet & phone. Once the deal is set, show em the trade. Remember, most of the time, the money for dealer is in your car. They mark up on new cars is small. On used cars, it is HUGE. Typically 50%, more on foreign names.
If you paid sticker, or more because you had to a 2011 car now, that's you fault. If you keep car less than 5 years, you should be leasing. That way you pay only for the short term use of the car, If however you keep cars long time, at least 6 yaers, better yet 8 or 9, then you should buy.
That's the way I do it, I have never been" BURNED". By the way, I never do business with guys who advertise on TV. Small town dealers only please.

Quick Reply: '08 hhr lemon