General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT Replaced Odometer Reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 01:10 PM

2007 Chevrolet HHR LT Replaced Odometer Reset

Hello

I had to replace the Original Odometer, due to the gauge lights going in and out, the handles not remaining stable!
I purchased a tested matching Speedometer from a used auto parts dealer, plugged it in and drive it and everything work correct, except Odometer.

I have read all about other peoples problems on here, it could be fraud...!
My last odometer worked even though it was cracked a little and other features twitching!
My mechanic then tested all electronics, replaced, belt, spark plugs and anything needed , so I can simply hop in and drive this little car mainly for work and whenever I don't need to drive my Nitro!
It shows online the original miles on this HHR record when the car had to be approved at a big city Emission Testing in 2017.

I just simply want to go to wherever/whoever can set the replaced Odometer to the original miles or make this one work in Tennessee! No Emission Testing near where I live!
A business online already confirmed that the BCM is what they would need to set to certain miles, with the ORIGINAL Speedometer/Odometer!

Thanks to any and all, that gives me any idea of what to do!

Last edited by RR72922; 05-27-2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 01:52 PM
Administrator

The used speedometer has to be vin matched to your HHR’s BCM. No fraud, just the new speedometer isn’t recognized by the BCM which has the mileage information in it.
Old 05-27-2022, 02:00 PM

I am well aware of this, where do I take it locally near Roane County, TN that can & will do this?
Online it states that some Type of Mechanics or Auto Dealer Mechanics can do it.
Is there any specific type of mechanic that can do this?

Could I purchase a new BCM and have it programmed and it work with Odometer...?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:00 PM

You hilighted the problem in your attachment. What is the mystery? The correct current mileage is stored in the BCM, whatever the odometer reads.
Did calling a GM dealer service department cross your mind?
GoOgle says Rice Buick GMC?
Old 05-27-2022, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ewmay1029
I am well aware of this, where do I take it locally near Roane County, TN that can & will do this?
Call shops and ask.
Old 05-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I don’t know what shops in your area can do this , possibly a GM dealership or any shop with Tech 2 scanner to VIN match GM vehicles , if you’re well aware of that, seems a simple solution.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:00 PM

I just spoke with my local Crossville Dave Kirk Chevrolet Buick GMC mechanic, they quickly stated that I would have to purchase a New Odometer since my old one is shot & cracked separating circuits, I said OK I want one.
They transferred me to the Mechanic and he tried to locate a new one there computer and more and after a while, he explained that they are no longer made New Instrument Cluster for 2007 Chevrolet HHR LS Wagon 4-Door 2.2L for this and other related year HHR's.
He studied a little more and stated even if I purchased a new BCM they could program it, but there could not set it up with used Odometer 2007 Chevrolet HHR LS Wagon 4-Door 2.2L/ to work!
It's shot not worth keeping the car anymore, will sale it, even though I really like it!

Any other ideas welcome!!
Old 05-27-2022, 04:32 PM

So, their solution to a broken instrument panel is "buy a new car"?
Well, the guy you talked to is totally wrong. Sorry.
You might try asking a collision repair shop how they do it.
If they knew how to use their computer it would be an easy matter of matching VIN.
Old 05-27-2022, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Yes, even if you drive it with the used IPC the odometer might not function but the miles will still register in the BCM.
May I suggest a different GM dealership or a skilled mechanic with a tech 2 scanner capable device.
Old 05-27-2022, 07:25 PM

I fallowed your advise and emailed 8 Certified Collision Repair Shops 50 miles around me that had a website, with these exact words:
Hello

I have been dragged around by Chevrolet dealers that stated they no longer make New Odometers for my HHR and could not set my original miles, mechanics and then a member of the Chevrolet HHR club, advised me to ask a Collision Repair shop.

My 2007 Chevrolet HHR Original Speedometer/Odometer was cracked, everything still worked, just cracked in the center so I trashed it.

I contacted places online that would reset the milage to my original miles using the Original BCM with Original Odometer, I had to purchase a tested used one closest to my original mileage and is under warranty, I placed it in and Odometer will not go another mile ahead, everything else works fine! The BCM is the Original!

My question to your type of Professional Collision Repair is, what would you do to correct this matter in a non totaled 2007 Chevrolet HHR LS that needed a Speedometer/odometer replaced and then set to the original miles?

I am located in Roane County and willing to go 50 miles around Roane County, TN to simply go to driving this little car I like!

This is the website that referred me to asking for your help
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/gene...56/#post925734

Any Answers or Referrals will be appreciated!

Thank You,
Ernest W. May

Quick Reply: 2007 Chevrolet HHR LT Replaced Odometer Reset