General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

4000 mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

Wow! What a great trip. I think you've got us beat. We'll soon be heading from Phoenix AZ, up through Utah and Idaho, into Montana, to Glacier National Park for a three week camping trip. We're counting the weeks, till we can hit the highway bright and early, cup of coffee in hand with the open road ahead of us. We already know it's going to be a lot more comfortable a ride than our Saturn. Good car, but not as comfortable as the HHR will be. The past two years we were able to take two months off, so we went to Montana via the scenic route, along the west coast, the only way to go when you have the time.

Last year we drove up the west coast as far as Astoria, then along the Columbia River gorge, and then headed north through the Idaho pan handle, and on to Glacier, then we went back the same way, visited friends in Brookings OR, and in Weed CA, then through Lassen Volcanic NP, then Tahoe, then back through Reno, and on to Craters of the Moon national monument, and back to Glacier, and eventually south through Idaho, Utah, and home. All together we put on over six thousand miles! Whooooooo-Whooooooooooooo! What a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2007, 04:15 PM

That does sound like a great ride. We love riding the roads of America. No better way to travel. Most people have no idea what they are missing. I have learned to take the road trips in the summer, or at least not winter. A few years ago we got caught in an ice storm just above Philly. It took us 9 hours to go 100 miles. Never again. We were driving on black ice. 10 degrees with 30mph wind. That's why I moved from western NY to Texas. I'll take the heat any day.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Mrs. B/B and I used to drive from Los Angeles to Chicago every couple years.
It`s a long trip, not much to see.
Make frequent stops, and get a coffee pot you plug in.
PS. Cigs help, but I don`t advocate smoking, I quit about 25yrs. ago.
You should get GREAT MPG in the HHR.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:26 PM

When and where in KY? Another Daytona Blue here.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Have a good trip, I lived in Houston for 20 years and my son lives in Tomball right down the road from you...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:56 PM

Your passing right by my house on i-81. I'm at the 581 exit in pa. But again your passing a lot of people house's.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Unhappy

Hey where's my premium member ? Now i'm a new member.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by max3456
That does sound like a great ride. We love riding the roads of America. No better way to travel. Most people have no idea what they are missing. I have learned to take the road trips in the summer, or at least not winter. A few years ago we got caught in an ice storm just above Philly. It took us 9 hours to go 100 miles. Never again. We were driving on black ice. 10 degrees with 30mph wind. That's why I moved from western NY to Texas. I'll take the heat any day.
You sure have that right! We are so lucky in this country to have so many wonderful places to discover and enjoy.

Reiman Publications use to have a magazine, up until they quit publishing it last summer, due to lack of interest, so they said. And the neat thing about it, was that it was written by folks who also love to travel and share their discoveries. The magazine was called Country Discoveries. It was great because folks traveling would write in and share neat places they discovered, be it something interesting to see, or really good places to eat good home style cooking.

In my younger years, due to the fact that my dad was a flight instructor, my brother and I use to do a lot of flying, and lately he's got the bug again. He's trying to talk me into it again so we can just get places in a fraction of the time. Good grief! Getting there is half the fun!!! Why would we want to rush when we can drive and stop any place we like and explore. Let's face it, you can't just pull over and park a plane, and have a picnic in the California Redwoods, or pull over and take a walk along the beach, enjoying that nice ocean air while sipping a good cup of coffee.
Nope, there's nothing like "seeing the USA in your Chevrolet!"
Old 06-04-2007, 10:25 PM

Too bad your not going to be near New York City. If your near Staten Island let me know in case your root changes
Old 06-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Just be safe, and enjoy the trip!

Quick Reply: 4000 mile road trip