General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air Bag question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM

I also had both front air bags deploy wheb I hit a deer at 70 in my 2006. They deployed quickly but the white cloud made it difficult to see for a short time, at 70 you are still moving down the road a ways. The 06 did not survive, but I did get to buy a panel then.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 AM
geg

guys. Maybe my story will be interesting or useful for you.
After the accident I had a problem - repair my car, including the replacement of airbags.
At this time, I learned that not only have to replace airbags. Safety belts, sensors and control unit airbags - also replacement. Expensive, is not it?
airbags and Safety Belts I bought quickly, but spent a lot of money. The sensors were rescued. But the control box! .. Its hard to find in Russia.
GM dealers Ekaterinburg requested $ 2,000 - brazen robbery! Ekaterinburg Club American car was ready for Shipping $ 600. After talking with respected people price reduced to $ 400 - still a great deal.
Then I independently communicate with suppliers in the U.S., but U.S. prices are also not encouraging - $ 280 is the smallest that could be found.
The problem was solved unexpectedly easily. On EBAY, I found a company Myairbags.com / I sent these guys my control box and 1 month to get it back through USPS. He has been professionally re-programmed. My work - just connect the connector and a security system ready for use. Aggregate costs "work + postage" = $ 82.

I highly recommend these guys! http://www.myairbags.com/
Old 06-18-2011, 01:08 PM

^^^

Very interesting, geg.
I'm in the collision repair 'industry' and I'd never heard of that company. Based on a quick look a their website, this sounds like a reasonable alternative, particularly for those who have to repair their vehicle out-of-pocket. I don't see insurance companies jumping on this bandwagon just yet.

For reference, my collision database lists new HHR airbag control modules for HHR's from $254 up to $457 or so depending on year / side air bags, etc....
Old 06-29-2011, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
Dear BADBOY,

You will read in your owner's manual that when this warning light is on that you should take the vehicle to the dealership to have this serviced. I would be happy to research this information in the owner's manual if you would like to provide me with the model year of your HHR.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
2010 hhr ls model
a freind of mines told me it has something to do with the passenger seat,,,because the rent a car companys have this problem all the time and do something to the passenger seat and the light gos out !!!
my light gos off and on when it feels like it,,,,sometimes for 2 mins,,,sometimes 2 days !!!
thanks for any info you may provide me with
Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM

Dear BADBOY,

Thank you. On page 4-52, there is a section that pertains to the "Service Air Bag" light. Is this the light that comes on and stays on intermittently? If this is the case, this section in your owner's manual reads as follows:
"This message displays when there is a problem with the airbag system. Have your vehicle serviced by your dealer/retailer immediately."

On page 4-27 of the 2010 Chevrolet HHR owner's manual, you will find the following information if you are experiencing the "Airbag Readiness Light";
"The system checks the airbag’s electrical system for possible malfunctions. If the light stays on it indicates there is an electrical problem. The system check includes the airbag sensor, the pretensioners, the airbag modules, the wiring and the crash sensing and
diagnostic module. For more information on the airbag system, see Airbag System on page 2-58.
The airbag readiness light flashes for a few seconds when the engine is started. If the light does not come on then, have it fixed immediately.
WARNING: If the airbag readiness light stays on after the vehicle is started or comes on while driving, it means the airbag system might not be working properly. The airbags in the vehicle might not inflate in a crash, or they could even inflate without a crash. To help avoid injury, have the vehicle serviced right away.
If there is a problem with the airbag system, an airbag Driver Information Center (DIC) message can also come on. See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 4-48 for more information."

On page 4-28 you will read about the passenger airbag status indicator.

I hope the above information from the owner's manual has helped, but I highly recommend to have your local Chevrolet dealership check this out. You might come to find that depending on the diagnosis it may be covered under warranty.

Sincerely,
Old 06-29-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BADBOY
2010 hhr ls model
a freind of mines told me it has something to do with the passenger seat,,,because the rent a car companys have this problem all the time and do something to the passenger seat and the light gos out !!!
my light gos off and on when it feels like it,,,,sometimes for 2 mins,,,sometimes 2 days !!!
thanks for any info you may provide me with
To get to the point GM has had issues with the seat belt harnesses and high resistance in the connectors. They have some TSB's out on them.

The seat belts have a charge in them to tighten up when the back blow. If the resistance is high they will trip the light. Often it will come on and go off. Some days it will never come on and other days it might flash for a few mins or not go off.

Take it to the dealer and have it checked. Mine they replace a belt and the harness.

I noted the colder it was the less the light came on the hotter the more it stayed on.

They can pull a code to locate it for your.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM

Dear BADBOY,

Thank you. On page 4-52, there is a section that pertains to the "Service Air Bag" light. Is this the light that comes on and stays on intermittently? If this is the case, this section in your owner's manual reads as follows:
"This message displays when there is a problem with the airbag system. Have your vehicle serviced by your dealer/retailer immediately."

On page 4-27 of the 2010 Chevrolet HHR owner's manual, you will find the following information if you are experiencing the "Airbag Readiness Light";
"The system checks the airbag’s electrical system for possible malfunctions. If the light stays on it indicates there is an electrical problem. The system check includes the airbag sensor, the pretensioners, the airbag modules, the wiring and the crash sensing and
diagnostic module. For more information on the airbag system, see Airbag System on page 2-58.
The airbag readiness light flashes for a few seconds when the engine is started. If the light does not come on then, have it fixed immediately.
WARNING: If the airbag readiness light stays on after the vehicle is started or comes on while driving, it means the airbag system might not be working properly. The airbags in the vehicle might not inflate in a crash, or they could even inflate without a crash. To help avoid injury, have the vehicle serviced right away.
If there is a problem with the airbag system, an airbag Driver Information Center (DIC) message can also come on. See DIC Warnings and Messages on page 4-48 for more information."

On page 4-28 you will read about the passenger airbag status indicator.

I hope the above information from the owner's manual has helped, but I highly recommend to have your local Chevrolet dealership check this out. You might come to find that depending on the diagnosis it may be covered under warranty.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service you might put in a suggestion to give your department the ability to scearch TSB's to help you and help customers know if there is anything that GM has posted on related issues.

Reading us the owners manual does little even though more people here should spend a little more time in one.

We have been provided with TSB's here and I can get them at work. They have helped me understand and deal with issues that have made my ownership go much better. In fact my dealer likes it as I have made them aware of TSB's they did not find and made it easier for them to address my problems.

Being proactive in solving issues is better than just reading the guide lines.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:12 AM

Dear hyperv6,

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback.

I apologize that I cannot provide TSB information to you and other General Motors vehicle owners. This is due to the fact that these documents are made up to provide assistance to the General Motors, ASE Certified technicians at the dealership. If a technician or other service personnel at a dealership decides to provide an owner with TSB information that decision is their choice. I am not an ASE Certified technician, therefore I am unable to provide this type of information to the owners on any of my forums.

We also realize that when there is a TSB that has been provided on the forums, this information may not apply to all situations with every vehicle. A few owner's could be experiencing symptoms that seem like the information that has been shared, but when diagnosed it could be something totally different. I am unable to assist with diagnosing vehicles to ensure that a TSB is the proper resolution for an owner's particular situation. This is one of many reasons that I recommend to some owners to visit the dealership. At the dealership they can research the symptoms, diagnose, provide information about warranty status in that particular situation and they might even find that a specific situation might sound like one TSB, but it is actually something else.

I will be sure to document your suggestions about this. We do save your feedback as well as others and this information is accessible by many departments within General Motors.

Once again, I do apologize for this inconvenience.

I hope that you have a great holiday weekend planned.

Sincerely,
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM

Dear hyperv6,

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback.

I apologize that I cannot provide TSB information to you and other General Motors vehicle owners. This is due to the fact that these documents are made up to provide assistance to the General Motors, ASE Certified technicians at the dealership. If a technician or other service personnel at a dealership decides to provide an owner with TSB information that decision is their choice. I am not an ASE Certified technician, therefore I am unable to provide this type of information to the owners on any of my forums.

We also realize that when there is a TSB that has been provided on the forums, this information may not apply to all situations with every vehicle. A few owner's could be experiencing symptoms that seem like the information that has been shared, but when diagnosed it could be something totally different. I am unable to assist with diagnosing vehicles to ensure that a TSB is the proper resolution for an owner's particular situation. This is one of many reasons that I recommend to some owners to visit the dealership. At the dealership they can research the symptoms, diagnose, provide information about warranty status in that particular situation and they might even find that a specific situation might sound like one TSB, but it is actually something else.

I will be sure to document your suggestions about this. We do save your feedback as well as others and this information is accessible by many departments within General Motors.

Once again, I do apologize for this inconvenience.

I hope that you have a great holiday weekend planned.

Sincerely,
michelle chould you find out if there is a recall on this airbag lights going off and on ??

if not is my hhr covered at 38k miles ???

i know the chevy malibu got recalled for this reason

and last but not least,,,,how much is this going to cost me to be fixed if not under warrenty ??????
Old 07-12-2011, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BADBOY
michelle chould you find out if there is a recall on this airbag lights going off and on ??

if not is my hhr covered at 38k miles ???

i know the chevy malibu got recalled for this reason

and last but not least,,,,how much is this going to cost me to be fixed if not under warrenty ??????
Badboy - get thee and thine car to your local dealer asap. You first reported this back in April.

Quick Reply: Air Bag question