General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Air Horns?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 07:26 AM

Can anyone tell me where the OEM horn is located, or the wiring to it? I would like top replace mine, but can't locate exactly where it is, or how to access it. When beeping the horn with the remote it seems to be down inside the drivers side fender. Do you need to remove a headlight or something to get at it?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:34 AM

you can see the horn in this pic. on the driverside. you have to pull the inner fender or the bumper. this also shows where there is room for a air horn but i cant stand them.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by CarlsSS
Can anyone tell me where the OEM horn is located, or the wiring to it? I would like top replace mine, but can't locate exactly where it is, or how to access it. When beeping the horn with the remote it seems to be down inside the drivers side fender. Do you need to remove a headlight or something to get at it?
I put a new Hella Dual horn in and all you have to do it remove a couple fasteners on the interliner of the driver side wheel well and turn the wheel in.

I never had to remove the tire. I wedged the fender liner with two props and changed the horns. I was able to use the original mounting bolt but you will have to change the horn wire.

The OE horn is a USA made Fiama an Itallian company making a horn for a Mexican built car. A regular UN.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Thanks guys, that helps a lot!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:36 PM

I installed my WOLO Bad Boy air horn today and am very happy with it! It has a unique high-pitched sound and is definitely something that will get peoples attention when needed. No more getting squeezed between two trucks on the toll-way in Chicago like the close call I had a couple weeks back!

I put it up top of the radiator like HHorange did in the picture. You could possibly fit it back in the fenderwell out of sight, but you'd have to remove the tire and fender liner completely to do that...
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 PM

Bad Boy horns

Tex,

I also did the Wolo Air horns today and am pleased with the fit as well as the volume.

The relay comes with the kit that I bought from Harbor Freight store this morning for $40. I followed the wiring instructions utilizing the relay and a 20 amp fuse off of the fuse box main power feed. You must do this as the stock horn need less than 10 amps while the air horns need almost twice that current.

With my wiring looms that I made covered in that Taylor black stock looking piping, it still appears stock looking under the hood. Basically you are extending the horn wires to power the relay's control coil and switching your 12 volt source power with the relay contacts.

My install looks like HHorange's except on the left side of the hood release instead of the right side.

This boy is loud!

QuickRick
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Could you please post the exact wiring details?
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by garagebuilt
you can see the horn in this pic. on the driverside. you have to pull the inner fender or the bumper. this also shows where there is room for a air horn but i cant stand them.
Geez!! I hope you didn't do that just to show us where the horn is located?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Schematic

Guys,

If you any of you want a copy of the schematic I used off of the instructions, let me know.

KySS,

I sent you mail.

QR
Old 08-02-2009, 10:58 PM

airhorn

i installed 1 chrome trumpet horn infront of radiator between the grill and the pump is mounted on the radiator support its late right now but i can post a pic if need be. i wanted to point it foward but its hard to find room for that.

Quick Reply: Air Horns?