General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Another take on the Stuck Igniton Key issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Another take on the Stuck Igniton Key issue

Well ...I've read many posts on this issue and have just been waiting for it to happen to me.

My 2010 1LT already had the ign. switch replaced but this is on my 2011 2LT with 20,000 miles.

Key shuts off engine but won't come out or go past ACC. I fiddled with it several times hoping it would come loose but no luck.
As it turns out I could not get into the Dealer for a couple days but when I was thru using it and shut it off in the ACC position I also made sure there was nothing running ... Heater fan, radio, interior lights etc. etc.
Next morning ... Completely drained DEAD battery.
I put my 10amp auto charger on it and let it charge for 3hrs. Pulled it off and it started so I used it all day but did not leave it without running for any length of time. Came home ... put it in the garage, shut it off for the day.
Rather then removing a battery cable I decided to just put the Charger on it and let it keep the battery charged till the next day.
It started at a 10 amp rate but by morning it was fluxuating @5 amps.
Thats what leaving the key on "ACC" draws without any other accessories running.
That day I took it into the Dealer and the Tech looked at the whole situation and said give me a few minutes to check a couple things out .. Key still stuck.
10 minutes later he drove the car out and said everything is working OK now but I have ordered you a new complete Shifter under Warranty. We will call you when it arrives and you can make a 1 1/2 Hr appt to get it installed.
I asked him .. What about the Ignition switch/lock?
He said it's OK .. but the button on the shifter is sticking and thats the problem on this car. When you put it in Park the button does not totally release which prevents the ignition key from going to the OFF position.
He had sprayed a little lube in the button area to get me by till the new parts are installed and said if if happens again before the repair just repush the switch in Park position or give it a firm bump.
Thought I would post this for the info when it happens to others.

This is not a fix if the car won't shut off.... Just a stuck key.

SF
Old 06-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Good to know. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM

I believe there is a TSB on the issue. Sounds like you lucked out and got a tech willing to check TSBs.

I had the opposite problem on my 2011 LT, I could not get it out of park most mornings without pushing the button 30 times. Same fix, a shot of WD40 on the actuator.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM

So they solved the problem that the 06s had with the shifter at the bottom and now the problem has moved up to the top??
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM

No, it's still the solenoid that allows the button to be pushed. Sometimes it sticks out, sometimes it sticks in, sometimes it sticks in between. I think the newer models have a problem with lube, the earlier was a washer/spacer geometry thing.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM

Cool

Did my oil change and reset the oil, started the car ran it a couple of minutes and could not turn the key to off or remove it!!! finally had to disconnect the battery to shut it down. the only transportation I have. anyone know the fix?
Old 07-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Deceased

Please see our replies here.....

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/help-ignition-key-issue-47152/

Duplicate posts will get your answers scattered all over the forum.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM

Just a quick update on my stuck key issue.

Dealer installed the new shifter parts under warranty and gave me the car back.

Working pefectly and the new shifter seems more solid to operate. Maybe just my imagination but the mileage was only 23,000 when it failed.
It was actually feeling a little sloppy at that time to me.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Its sounding like if the ignition gets stuck in the "run" position its likely the ignition cylinder. If it gets stuck in the "acc" position, probably the shifter interlock.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Just a quick update on my stuck key issue.

Dealer installed the new shifter parts under warranty and gave me the car back.

Working pefectly and the new shifter seems more solid to operate. Maybe just my imagination but the mileage was only 23,000 when it failed.
It was actually feeling a little sloppy at that time to me.
I'm pleased to hear that you were able to get into the dealership and have everything fixed. If you end up having any other issues or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me through private message.

Best,

Jessica L.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: Another take on the Stuck Igniton Key issue