General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anybody install a NON HHR OEM roof rack on thier HHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 PM

Anybody install a NON HHR OEM roof rack on thier HHR

So.....I recently sold my 2005 Scion xB. I installed a 2001 Chrysler Caravan roof rack on top of it to haul around my bikes, kayaks, snow boards, etc....

Well, I bought a 2007 HHR LS. It doesn't have a roof rack on top of it. A roof rack is a NECESSITY for me. The only problem I have is I absolutely hate the way the Thule, INNO, Yakima style roof racks look.

They just look like cheap add on accessories. I know they are quality constructed pieces, but I prefer something that looks like it was designed in a development studio. Something designed to flow with the contour of the vehicles body.

So anyhow, I purchased a roof rack from a 2005 Chevy Tahoe z71 OffRoad model. This is not the regular roof rack that came on the countless Tahoes, Suburbans and Yukons, etc....

This particular roof rack has three crossbars and at the extreme rear, has a roller for loadind/unloading kayaks & canoes. The mounting pedastals have contoured plastic housings arount them to make the rack really look like it was built to be mated to a specific vehicle.......will post pics below in a few days after I install it.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! We'd love to see pictures of any modification!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:24 PM

Obviously the roof rack needs to be cleaned up and made shiny again.....in the below pic, it is just sitting ontop of the roof of my HHR.....I wont have time to mount it for a few weeks. The rack cross bars are really long and I am going to have to cut them shorter. The rack came from a limited edition full size 4x4 SUV. I'm gonna have to cut the cross bars more narrow so that they fit the shorter width of the HHR roof......Also, I am either gonna curve the side rack roof rails to match the front-to-back arc of the roof or trim the front mounting base to match the curve of the forward section of the roof (not sure which way to go yet)......just gotta get the mount bases to match the curvature.....so that everything looks original and stock.

I've already repaired six dents on the HHR.......gonna have to replace the drivers (dented) door and work some kind of magic on that rear quarter panel fender.

Paid $500 for it with fresh smog inspection and new 2018 registration.........ABSOLUTELY NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS......just cosmetic probs. Figure I'll keep it for a year and resell it for a profit after I've modded it and enjoyed it for a while. I already have a full sound system for it. An aftermarket Viper remote start alarm. 17 inch wheels (no tires as of now). I have a complete convertible G6 GTP car that I recently wrecked and will be.......somehow.....one way or another, be a doner car for parts for this HHR.......modify G6 parts to install into this HHR. First thing I'm gonna do is install the GMC roof rack.......

Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Does the rear lift door hit the back of the roof rack ?
Old 09-05-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Does the rear lift door hit the back of the roof rack ?
The rear lift door will open completely without coming in contact with the roof rack.

However, If the optional rear spoiler is installed, then yes, the spoiler would hit the rack (rear roller cross bar).