General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Anyone here work with auto glass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

So Chooch....

do you think, after reading my experience, that the company I did business with actually did perform as your post indicates,,,,heat and then cut???

I'm no longer participating in this debate. I have read a lot of the "google" material and decided that a layman cannot do it. But, based on your last post, it can be done by a company with the correct equipment....and that appears to be what I experienced.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM

ya right. The company you took it to went to the effort of heating your tempered glass to almost the point of melting it and then whipped out its magic glass cutting tempering knife. Why dont you phone them or pop by their and ask them? ya..this thread is over...seems some just want to believe whatever suits their needs.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:11 PM

Wow, sorry I asked.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

It's funny. I've actually seen tempered glass that was cut on a Flowjet back in 1993. Maybe someone who's actually used a Flowjet would like to pipe up and the people with a BS in Google can pipe down a bit.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:17 PM

Any chance of leaving the back glass in one peice and having the whole rear window open with one door leaving a door with no glass in it? I know it sounds silly but it could be cool if a way was figured out to frame it?? Or maybe I'm an idiot, I cant even cut plexiglass with out it breaking
Old 11-17-2007, 10:27 PM

I have never worked with plexiglass but can it be heated and bent? I was thinking you could lay it on your window heat it until it takes shape of the factory window. You'll have to have someone cut it and polish the edge if you can't do it. Also I would tint both sides because of scratching. Just my idea anyway............
Old 11-17-2007, 10:31 PM

Another idea, it won't be a window but how about over laying your window with fiberglass and make a panel out of glass that will look like a window and paint it black. Then add a back-up camera.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:46 AM

oh i see...high pressure water can cut tempered glass! wow..you sure do know your'' b.s.'' when you smell it...since you are the king of it. High pressure would just shatter tempered glass to tiny smithereens. What part of ''you cannot cut in any way tempered glass'' is so hard to understand. Go ahead...go phone or show up in person and ask for tempered glass to be cut down. Then when you finally realize the difference between tempered and flat or laminated glass, maybe you can come back with your witty unintelligent remarks. Try reading the ''google b.s.'' and it says it in plain english.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:25 AM

I don't usualy jump in when people start b!tching at eachother, but Damn chooch you sound like your upset that he wants to try it. I figure it cant be done but if this guy thinks he knows a way then let him try, if he screws up its money outta his pocket not yours and if your right then in time we all will know it when he comes back and says it couldn't be done.
So to put this as nicely as I can, CHILL OUT and just wait for him to prove you right then be the bigger guy and DON'T say "I told you so", just tell him it sucks that it couldn't be done and wish him luck on finding another way to finish his project.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chooch
whatever! go for it... i have a brooom you can borrow.....some of you seem to have already found a shovel. Any of you guys even bother to read them websites on tempered glass? the last one even says :------Cutting Tempered (Toughened) Glass --- Post your reply
Posted on: Sep-04-03 Author: Contact this user User information

Is there any way to cut a toughened glass kitchen splash back ? Preferebly on site.

If so could someone please let me know the process and what equipment I will need to use ?

Thank you.
regards
Nello

Total replies: 1
Posted on: Sep-06-2003 Author: Lee Contact this user User information
In order to cut tempered glass it has to be untempered. To do this it has to be heated in a furnace to close to the melting point and then cooled. Trying to cut or saw tempered will result in it breaking. Check with a glass bending/laminating co in your area they will have the furnace for this.
it was a joke, get over it....its only the internet

Quick Reply: Anyone here work with auto glass?