General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Center Dash Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Center Dash Compartment

I purchased a Magellan 3200 GPS unit that i am planning to stick the Winshield mount in the center dash compartment/glovebox by using the adhesive disk and placing it on the bottom and just suction the mount to that. I measured it and it will close fine as long as the unit itself is not there, which is fine because when i actually use it I will leave the compartment open.
1. My question is what do i have to do to run the power, which goes to the cigarette lighter the least visible as possible. To remove this box, do i just have to remove the two screws and it will come right out?
2. Once i remove this box will it connect me to the glove box? I would like to just have the cigarete charger in there and when i need to plug the device i just open the glove and plug the charger

I know i have the option to take it to a stereo place and they can probably wire it with out needing to user the cigarette lighter....but i want a temp solution without having to leave it on the dash
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM

I put my neon controller in the center dash just unscrew the screws drill hole into aux glove box aka center dash compartment. Then run your wires and such there is an access hole in back that would lead to fuse box
Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM

I have a Sirius plug and play unit in the center consol that is plugged into the ciggarette lighter. I unscrewed the box and drilled a hole to run the wires through and then run them behind the consol piece that has the radio and temp/fan controls. Looks better than seeing too many wires!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

I put my XM radio up there:

You take out the whole compartment, one screw in the back, two up front. There are already access holes that lead all the way down to the fuse panel at the base of the console on the passenger side. I used an add-a-fuse to add another cigarette outlet for the power adapter down there. There is enough room under and around the top compartment to run the wire back around to the openings for the hinges. It helps to have a fish tape or a piece of heavy wire to fish the wires up through the dash, too.